Sign in to follow this  
damunk

running without ignition fuse/switch

damunk

Is it okay to run without the ignition fuse?

I'm running bike carbs, and stand alone ECU. have probs with ignition fuse blowing on "on " position. link below - had a word with mechanic, he says i've damaged a wire when putting engine back. can a wrong connection to starter motor cause fuse to blow even if not"cranking" 

caretakerplus

There  is ALWAYS a reason why a fuse blows, so by-passing the fuse turns the cable itself into a 'fuse' - the problem then is that when it is overloaded, things start to get very hot and fires have been known to start!

You mention connections to the starter motor - There are normally two feeds to the starter, one being the thick cable from the battery, the other being the feed to the solenoid, which only becomes live when you turn the key to the 'start' position.

If the solenoid cable was connected to the main starter terminal (a bit difficult to do accidentally) in place of the battery cable, when the key was turned to 'start', current would be fed directly to the motor windings which would overload the cable and blow any fuse that was in the circuit.

As I say, it would be very difficult to do this as the terminals are different.

Regards

dvderlm

Good explanation.

damunk found the cause. - cheapo splice of three wires in the loom shorting together.