ASPolo

Please help- wiper problems! 9N 2002

ASPolo

Evening all,

ive got a problem with the wipers on my 2002 9N polo. It’s been going on for a while now but when the weather clears for a while I forget about it. 

Ive got an issue with the wipers, most notably the intermittent wipers. They’ll work when I turn on the car and put the wipers on, but they might only do a few wipes then just stop wiping. I can sometimes get round it by pushing them all the way up to the fastest setting, then all the way down and holding the stalk down to get the wipers to work. I normally have to try this 4-5 times until it works. If I let go of the stalk when it’s all the way down, before they’ve completed 2 swipes, they’ll just stop where they are and not park. 

It doesnt happen all the time, just typically when the rain is the worst! They’ve stopped working at least 5 times on the 40 minute journey home from work today. 

I went through all the relays and turns out there’s no relay for the wipers, and a bit of googling tells me it’s all done by the central computer or something? 

The only way I can get them to work is by having them on the constant setting, if I leave on intermittent they’ll stop working. But not all the time! It’s doing my head in. 

Any pointers? I can hear the click that the wipers make when on intermittent but they just don’t move. Likely to be a stalk issue, a motor issue or what? 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Cheers, 

Alex.

nige8021

There is a relay in the onboard power supply module (the computer you referred too), but I can't find any info if it is a replaceable item or something soldered onto a circuit board.

From your description I would say it's pointing towards the stalk rather than the motor as the most likely faulty item