Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

1977 Mk1 Polo Manila

foreststu

I forgot to mention that I also managed to find some uncut Tobacco colour front door cards. I'd seen full sets of the block-colour tan brown Cognac ones but not seen any available in this mottled brown style and luckily the seller had both fronts (no rears).

The original Tobacco cards had been cut for speakers so I had tidied them up using some period plastic covers but uncut ones will look better. I don't intend to run a radio so I've deleted the aerial hole in the passenger wing and I wasn't going to run door speakers. Thinking about it now, I'm not sure if there is a speaker behind the dash grill but there is a period radio in the dash but I don't intend to connect it up as a bluetooth or Aux input anyway.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foreststu

• setch

• ross_m

• Lovejoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Start of another car. Picked up this car recently which is in need of a bit of work to put it mildly plus in need of a lot of new parts. 1977 Polo L in Manilla Green with Tobacco interior. Here's what

Loving the Ziebart sticker, my grandad had a Cortina with the same one. It worked well, there wasn't a spot of rust on the sticker.   The rest of the car..... different story.

So I managed to get the chrome trim into the front and rear screen seals with plenty of soapy water. I'd also fitted the dealer sticker that @Lovejoy kindly remade for me based on the screwed-up fragm

Posted Images

foreststu

After rubbing down the polyester spray filler the body has been coated in epoxy primer.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

More rubbing down then particularly exciting GREEN things happened!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The other side of these parts and the body are being sprayed this week so more updates soon. In the meantime I've built up the NOS bumpers & end caps.

spacer.png

I have a brand new old stock front windscreen seal I planned to put on this car if you interested. 

It's looking great by the way

• Like 1

Also, just realised, when I owned this polo I also had a mars red early chrome bumpered mk1 golf very similar to yours sitting next to it on the drive!

• Like 1
foreststu
28 minutes ago, ross_m said:

I have a brand new old stock front windscreen seal I planned to put on this car if you interested. 

It's looking great by the way

Thanks Ross, I've got one already fitted round the glass with new chrome too. I also bought a NOS rear screen rubber but I think it might be a '74-'75 Audi 50 one (they used a wider rigid chrome insert) as the usual chrome bead seems much looser than the front - real test will be when I try and fit it, if it's no good I'll reuse the old one which is ok (the old windscreen rubber was well gone and the reason there was no floor in it!). 

26 minutes ago, ross_m said:

Also, just realised, when I owned this polo I also had a mars red early chrome bumpered mk1 golf very similar to yours sitting next to it on the drive!

Ah nice! Very unfortunately that one isn't mine, its a '75 Swallowtail in Phoenix Red owned by a friend.

Edited by foreststu
foreststu

So the exciting green things happened, great finish.

spacer.png

My headliner was very brittle but overall not too bad. I hadn't been able to successfully peel it off without it splitting so I had run around the outside edge with a Stanley knife blade giving it a clean edge but obviously loosing the wrap-around 1cm. So I've used really strong double sided tape on the inside edge and then covered it all in yacht sail repair tape which cures to a waterproof and tear-resistant seal in an hour.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then I could fit the door and boot seals and assemble, very happy!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So happy with the finish and how narrow the original wheel/tyre choice is albeit I've lowered the car 60mm rear and 40mm front on a H&R Cup Kit. Today I've started cleaning up parts for reinstallation. Very early Type 86 cars have stainless steel rear side window trims but unfortunately mine has the plastic chrome inserts which fade and flake. Long term I'd like better items but in the short term I've made mine shiny again with a Molotow Liquid Chrome graffiti marker, finish is ok from far away and better than before but up close it has a lot of 'marker pen' type brush marks and varied thickness which I'll try to clean up.

spacer.png

Start:

spacer.png

Finish:

spacer.png

Cleaned up a used set of seals ready to assemble.

spacer.png

Found some NOS wiper arms and fitted them up with some stainless steel wiper blades.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tomorrow I'll  polish up and seal the front chrome and the side/sill/tailgate stainless trims.

nige8021

That Molotow Liquid Chrome, you can buy it in refill packs, so you can use in an airbrush, gives a much better finish 

• Like 1
foreststu
22 hours ago, nige8021 said:

That Molotow Liquid Chrome, you can buy it in refill packs, so you can use in an airbrush, gives a much better finish 

Yes that would have been better but considering the amount of effort I put in (little) they are ok especially from a distance! Really I should have filled and sanded them first.

IMG_9974.thumb.jpg.4ea0ac210a4d8db2fcbd522b63311b88.jpg

foreststu

Got the glass and brightwork fitted except for the tailgate chrome strip and the front/rear screen chrome-bead. Starting to look more complete with the grill placed in but not fitted yet as I forgot to take down the clips.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by foreststu
  • Love it 2

thats looking amazing! It's so good to get them back after paint. I wish I'd managed to get the golf back together that quickly!

• Like 1
foreststu

So I managed to get the chrome trim into the front and rear screen seals with plenty of soapy water. I'd also fitted the dealer sticker that @Lovejoy kindly remade for me based on the screwed-up fragment I found in the rear inner wing 2 years ago. Also a Ziebart Rustproofing shield sticker just as a joke considering how rusty this thing was (well it makes me laugh). 

spacer.png

Fitted the NOS rear badge, wing mirrors, wipers, front plate etc.

spacer.png

Then it was time for the drive home.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Made it and test fitted the correct early '4-arm' centre caps.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And also had a little play with the interior parts, NOS hard-resin rim steering wheel and horn push. In reality I've got plenty of work including sound-deadening insulation to fit before the carpet/seats will be going in but it got the seal of approval from the Boss.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by foreststu
  • Love it 2

Loving the Ziebart sticker, my grandad had a Cortina with the same one. It worked well, there wasn't a spot of rust on the sticker.

The rest of the car..... different story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
foreststu

Did a small job between work today. Unfortunately when I stripped the car down I looked at the white clips for the tailgate stainless trim and very unfortunately thought "OK so they're the same as the side waist trims and easily available". So... they went in the bin with the others. As you may know or have now guessed they are actually different (but look the same from afar) and they are also not readily available - well they're not even rare-parts available so you basically have them or know someone or, like me, you don't. So to recover from this I measured the gap in the tailgate trim and scaled this against the gap in the side waist trim so I could hand-modify 7 side waist trim white clips to work on the tailgate. I ended up cutting them down with a scalpel to get the height right then remove the pin and run on sand paper to reduce the thickness.

This is also different to Mk1 Golf tailgate chrome trim which, for Swallowtails, is held on with a speed-clip type clip (so no holes in tailgate itself) and later was chromed-plastic attached with 3M tape. Below is a photo of the tailgate trim clips on a friends immaculately beautiful 1975 swallowtail Golf.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Based on my guesswork the sizes are:

Side Waist Trim Clips = 6mm tall which fit into a 5mm gap in the trim by compressing together to be 4.5mm. 3mm thick.

Rear Tailgate Trim Clips = cut down to 3.75mm to fit in a 3mm gap by compressing to 2.5mm. Sand down to 2.6mm thick.

Here is a comparison photo which isn't mine (so I didn't have the luxury of just measuring a tailgate clip to see how much i needed to cut and sand them down).

spacer.png

As my clips were homemade and the tailgate trim is very hard to find I opted to secure mine to the clips with some PU Adhesive, in progress bulldog clip photo below so will see how that turns out on the weekend.

spacer.png

I've added a few Audi 50 details to the car because it's a car for me and I like them so I've used a 1974 - March 1975 rear bumper with two smaller Audi-style number plate lights rather than the single larger central light (luckily found one NOS lens in Belgium and another NOS lens closer to home in Bristol), the stainless side waist trims with the rear flick on the rear quarter rather than the straight stainless Polo ones or later plastic flick type and  the 13-rib grill rather than the 8-rib grill (with a NOS badge, again from Belgium). 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looking back at the grill fitted when I got the car broken into three pieces makes me appreciate how far the build has come and how long it's taken!

spacer.png

Edited by foreststu
foreststu

Mostly cleaning up dust from the interior and bay today but also got a few small jobs done. Stickers from www.oem-carstickers.com

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I didn't use all the pack but they add to the custom printed running-in sticker, cheers Steve!

spacer.png

I've also picked up a NOS boxed VOTEX alarm which came with a couple of period stickers that I've put in the corner of the rear side windows near the door pulls.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then fitted the NOS rain tray.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

foreststu

I had pulled the fluffy yellow under-carpet insulation off when repairing the floors, it had been stuck down and came off in clumps reminiscent of those generated when brushing a heavily moulting dog. I'm not too concerned about road noise (I won't even be connecting up the radio) but I wanted something to replace it to make-up the thickness difference so the fitted carpet would fit properly and also not slide around against the smooth metal. I picked up a box of 10 noise damping insulation sheets from heritagepartscentre.com on Black Friday before Christmas to save a few quid. I'd seen Ned from Hayburner use these StP World products on the Shuvarda bus including some videos so I opted for the Gold Accent 10.

spacer.png

I cleaned the bodywork dust out from the inside and laid out the pads to workout a plan. It looked like I would need just under the full 10 and in the end I used 9.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I gave the floor a key with a sanding fleece and got cutting and sticking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I used a few offcuts to stick on the pressed high points in the spare wheel well so that my powder coated spare (running a period NOS Michelin 135 tyre) wouldn't touch the metal when seated.

spacer.png

spacer.png 

foreststu

I did a little mid-week job cleaning up the Tobacco corduroy seats with some foam cleaner. Not sure how effective the cleaner was really or if just any cleaning would have had the same effect.

spacer.png

Drivers seat before:

spacer.png

During:

spacer.png

After:

spacer.png

Overall the material is cleaner although that has the effect of making more stubborn/permanent stains stand out!

spacer.png

Also picked up some replacement hinge covers as mine were broken. They are Brazilian items from Heritage Parts Centre so probably made for the Beetle or Gol over there. They are a slightly different shape but they fit the same with the small dowels and can pass over the back-adjustment knob by just removing its black cover/handle bit.  I think the shape is actually better as it doesn't extend past the metal on the rear which is what backseat passengers catch with their toes getting in and out as you can see from the damage on my old ones!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by foreststu
foreststu

Couple of Friday afternoon jobs today to pick me up from a pretty poor week. Firstly I waxed the cavities which will shortly be hidden by the carpet and side-cards. I used aerosol Corrolan Active from the same people I got the epoxy paint paint and sundries from; https://www.rust.co.uk/product/corrolan-active-cavity-wax--201. I used the can warmed to room temp near a radiator and it sprayed on well  You could hardly see it until you touched it (yes I covered that bit back up!) or it cooled down. Make sure you get the tube attachment that allows you to keep the aerosol can upright but spray trough the tube into awkward areas.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next on the list was fitting rear seat belts. The car didn't come with them but I wanted them as, well there's a reason they're mandatory, and I have a young daughter. I had managed to collate the parts using a mix of Mk1 Polo bits and early Mk1 Golf bits which have the same arrow-ish shaped end. I was lucky to get the last early Golf left side rear seat belt that Classic Parts had but you can still buy the right-hand side https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/sicherheitsgurt-ac400e.html. I was also very lucky that Classic Parts still has the reinforcement piece which mounts the seat belt reel in the boot https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/verstaerkung-bc98d4.html. There is a piece with 3 captive bolts that should be used inside the panel (861 809 743), to sandwich the body between it and the reinforcement piece,  but I could only find one of them when I was collecting the parts for this job so instead I've used 6 shouldered 1" M8 bolts and 6 50mm wide thick washers from a Securon kit I used on my Baywindow campervan.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by foreststu
  • Love it 1
foreststu

More progress over the weekend. Firstly cleaning up the carpets with the same product I used on the seats.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In addition to the two main fitted carpet pieces there is a section for the base of the A-pillar on both sides which I stuck on with spray adhesive.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Pleased with how the carpet came out so got the seats and under-dash trays in.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next job was the parcel shelf which was missing the pivot pins on both sides meaning it just sat on the rubber hooks that hold the seat base to the top mounts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This rubber bung was in the ashtray when I got the car and searching for the part number written on it didn't return any hits as it's just marked as "no longer available" on the ETKA parts catalog. I stumbled upon a drawing showing it in place and remembered I had one so fitted it. This revealed why it had been in the ashtray as with it fitted the parcel shelf will no longer sit usably on the top mounts as this bung is higher in-line with the correct pivot points. Again, the pivot points weren't listed with a part number and I hadn't seen any around so I made my own. I used an External Wall Insulation plastic securing pin which a short section of flexible fuel pipe slid over it and made up to the correct diameter for a snug fit using black duct tape. It works a treat.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then I got down to installing some accessories including a cup holder basket, wheel brace, first aid kit and 702-tastic Feu Orange lookalike air freshener from Hayburner Magazine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
foreststu

More interior work. I greased the window winder channels and got the water membrane in. I couldn't decide between OEM 'stick over the area of the door card directing water into the triangular shaped drain points at the bottom' or just 'tucking the base of the sheet into the door cavity' as a lot of people recommend. So I did both, a full sheet tucked in then an overlap sheet for the bottom 6" with tape between the drain points. I used the same double sided tape that I used for the headliner.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I had already put to the front seats in so I got the rear bench in.

spacer.png

spacer.png

My boot carpet was beyond saving, soaked in engine oil. I can't think why... [inset photo of brilliant car-mad previous owner transporting an aircooled VW engine in the boot]...

spacer.png

...so it was beyond the spray cleaner and also a 'custom' replacement cut by someone in the past so I made a cardboard template and cut a new one from rubber-backed automotive carpet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

To round off the week, a small job fitting a replacement washer pump-to-jet hose in black from Heritage Parts Centre.

spacer.png

Edited by foreststu
  • Love it 1

The attention to detail is fantastic! Excellent work, I cannot wait to see it in the metal at some point 😎

• Like 1
foreststu
Posted (edited)

My drivers side mirror had already been replaced once with a better condition used item than the one which came on the car but since fitting the NOS RHD-Left (convex glass) one on the passenger side I'd been on the lookout for a NOS RHD-Right (flat glass). A chance find on eBay.de turned out to be the right UK-spec part number and it arrived today. I was very surprised to open the box and see that rather than just wrap the mirror in some bubblewrap they had packed some other small NOS Type 86 parts around it! What a great and kind thing to do!

spacer.png

Amongst the few bits (some of which I had to look up by part number on Etka) were bumpers for either side of the gearstick aperture. I recall there being two thin very hard pieces of what I thought was almost like a strip of credit card in the bottom of the recess. I remember thinking they must have been stuck either side but threw them away as long gone past their best. These new ones are very soft and very flexible jelly-like rubber so I presume that the old ones suffered so much from the heat in the tunnel that they perished to the point that the three locating lugs fell off?!

spacer.png

As I had acquired them I thought I may as well fit them so I greased the three holes and used a small mole-grip to pull to stretch them through until the barb was all the way though before releasing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Small job to have a slightly better looking drivers side wing mirror and happy to have fitted another new part I hadn't even remembered I was missing!

Edited by foreststu
  • Love it 1
  • 4 weeks later...
foreststu

So this month I have mostly been treating the underbody. After bare metalling the underside with an angle grinder fitted with knotted cup bushes I had used Rust Buster (rust.co.uk) Epoxy Mastic 121. I now wanted to add some stone chip protection to this. Original plan was a textured rubberised stone chip in the arches and the modern equivalent of Waxoil on the pans. I ended up putting Dinitrol 447 Super Protect resin based elastic rubber stone chip on all of the underside, the reason I haven't done this before is it effectively sticks the front wings in place. This gave a really good looking finish and I considered stopping there. The Dinitrol 447 has particles of Zinc in it to slow the development of rust if it is punctured by a stone. However as I had bought the Rust Buster TechShield black underbody wax (solvent borne bitumen wax) I thought it would add another layer of protection. Painting it on it smelt like tarmac and was shiny but fortunately, as advertised, it dried to a non-sticky matt black waxy layer so brush-marks aside hasn't taken away from the look of the Dinitrol. So some photos...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up was a lot of hard graft finding. I wasn't happy with the material condition of the rear side window chrome trims which I'd improved using the chrome effect graffiti marker. There are three types of this trims; 1974 Audi 50 ones which are 4 pieces of stainless steel with overlapping corners rather than separate corner pieces, the use of 4 pieces creates a corner at the top which is also present in the rubber seal. The next two types are both 3 piece sets with the top corner replaced by a bend in the trim and the seal plus separate corner pieces. The corner pieces are the same stainless items through out but 1975-1977 trims are themselves also made of stainless whilst 1977-1981 are plastic which suffers from degradation. After 2 months or reasonably intensive searching (mostly the middle 4-week period) I managed to find a set of the 1975-1976 stainless trims to replace my damaged plastic ones and they look much cleaner.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So that's the exterior pretty much as good as I am able to get it right now and it's been exactly 2 years since I bought the car so here are some comparison shots from the day after I bought it versus the day after paint was finished.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So what next? Well sorting the engine bay and upgrading to a higher displacement small block would be nice but funds are understandably tight so for this summer the plan is to head to some shows and have some fun.

Oh yeah and jam a motorsport inspired twin Weber DCOE 40 intake arrangement and NOS HH code 4-2-1 full exhaust on either side of the 895cc engine to try and get back to the factory 40hp.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Take care all...

• Love it 1
stickman

Looking awesome, I hope you get to enjoy some sunshine and shows this year, reckon you'll be taking home some prizes, the car is stunning 😍👌

• Like 1