Sign in to follow this  
cavedweller

Who stole my manifold?

cavedweller

OK, the starter makes a slight grinding noise just after starting that to me sounds like a bearing or bendix going bad or something so I want to change it before it goes altogether. I know there are people who say you CAN replace the starter without taking the intake manifold off but I want to take it off anyway just so I can have a look at things to see how it all works and fits together.

Looking at my monster 999cc engine it looks like somebody has stolen the inlet manifold and replaced it with a piece of weird black plastic, surely somebody's sick idea of a joke. I mean, all inlet manifolds are made of some kind of metal. right? What next? Pistons of wood?

Anyway, I'm going to take the intake manifold off when I change the starter and was just wondering if there's any weird quirks I should be aware of. It looks easy enough to me, just remove a few allen bolts and disconnect a couple of wire connectors, but I'm sure there'll be some kind of computery complications involved. Will the ECU go mad if I disconnect the wires to the throttle body etc?

Also I expect to find either gaskets or O-rings at the inlets so are these  likely to need replacing with new ones or can the old ones generally be used again with caution if they look good? I rather suspect it should all come off easily by the looks of it without even taking the throttle body off and then I can do the starter and have a poke about at the back of the engine to see what's what.

Are there any other little jobs that need doing while the manifold and starter are off? Would hate to have to pull it all off again just for something minor later.

nige8021

The plastic bunch of bannanas inlet does take a bit of getting used too 🤣

The removal of the manifold is pretty much as you have described, the ECU will get upset by having the throttle body disconnected, however you can normally get around the need for diagnostic kit to "Re-learn" the settings by driving around for 20~30 mins using varying throttle loads so the ECU can re-learn the settings.

With the manifold off, it might pay to remove the oil/air seperator block on the rear of the block, as over time they can get gunked up leading to excessive oil vapours being ingested and seeping into the cabin. Also on the drivers side end of the manifold is a sensor (inlet air temp & manifold absolute pressure) whip that out (two torx screws) and give it a clean with some spray carb cleaner, don't use a brush or rag on it as it's quite delicate, easier to do it with the manifold off, and have good close inspection of all the vacuum pipes as they are prone to deteriorate and the main vacuum pipe to the servo is known to split  

There are "O" rings on the manifold, in theory (ideal VW world) you would replace them, https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/2001-240/1/133-133011/#4   in practice if they look OK refit maybe with a smear of silicone sealant  

cavedweller

Yeah that's all pretty much as I suspected. I'll try removing the manifold without disconnecting too many wires and I'll give the sensor a clean. Having already thrown away the airbox gubbins and plugged off the relevant hoses the car's been running great on a motorcycle pod filter.

I still want bigger wheels. First gear is practically useless unless I've got a load on, and I often start out in second and just go straight to fourth for around town. This is an exceptionally light car due to the ally engine and I've removed much of the interior so I can use it like a small van but I think the monster 50hp engine could handle bigger wheels for more ground clearance. It's a great little car with a lot of room inside but it seems small by today's standards where everybody has to have a 200mph Range Rover clone.

cavedweller

Well bugger. Got the starter changed without needing to disconnect any wires at all but I did disconnect the negative battery terminal at the time an now that everything's fitted and working again the airbag light is on. Is this a common thing after disconnecting the battery? Everything else seems perfectly normal. Runs fine.