Eviljohn

Fuel smell mk2 breadvan

Eviljohn

Hi polo people. Hope you are well.

I'm hoping to get some guidance on the connections for the fuel tank on my mk2 breadvan. 

Had a new tank fitted about a year ago. Ever since, been having smell of fuel when i put any in. As i don't always top it off, it's noticeable but not too bad. I topped it off yesterday and it's real bad. I checked the filler neck for leaks, all good, but smell is coming from around there for sure. There is a little outlet coming off the filler neck, near the top that has nothing attached to it. Should there be something on that? 

According to the Haynes, i should have a small breather hose and a large breather hose. Should it be one of these? 

Also, while checking for leaks, i found a hose behind the filler flap, coming in from above it that doesn't appear to be connected to anything. It's above the fuel tank so not sure it's anything to do with fuel. Can anyone tell me what it is? 

Any pics, links or advice would be greatly appreciated as my brain hurts a bit. 

Thank you very much for stopping by. 

Take it easy.

20190505_193746.jpg

Eviljohn

Also, i took the inspection flap under the rear seat off. There is a hose connected to this that runs out to the side of the car but i can't see where it goes. This didn't smell, just wondering what the other end is connected to. The picture in the Haynes i have is hand drawn so is kinda helpful but could probly be clearer. 

Thank you.

Eviljohn

Okay. I may have just figured it out but could do with confirmation if anyone can:

The little tube in the pic is the small breather hose, attaches to a small outlet towards the rear of the car. 

The larger one that has nothin on it at the point is the large breather hose. Is this meant to be connected to the outlet under the back seat? 

fathands

This should help

BC41A31D-2BCA-4503-9EA6-5F97FA8A1285.png

Eviljohn

Spank you. Number 7 is the culprit! Not connected to the filler neck. Got a funny feeling i'm gonna have to take the whole tank off to put it back on.

Thanks again. 

nige8021

#7 is the jubilee clip the pipe is #6 

Eviljohn

There's no jubilee clip and the end of the hose is not connected to the filler neck outlet. So 6 and 7. 

Eviljohn

If i opt to replace the hose as i think it's just fractionally short, do i need to replace it with actual fuel hose or is it specific kind of hose?

The fuel hose i found with the correct ID is massive and i'm not sure it will fit under the bodywork without rubbing. 

dvderlm

https://www.vwheritage.com/n0202903-breather-hose-per-meter-vw-spare

12mm internal 74+cm

(buy a meter - I could not remove the old hardened pipe.)

My replacement hose runs below seat , rather than below car (level sender cover only held on by one screw)

and through offside cavity and above original hose. 

Breather so fuel fume safe, it's not in permanent petrol contact, unless you habitually  brim the neck by not inserting petrol pump filler fully.

Edited by dvderlm

Eviljohn

I don't think it's the oe hose. The filler neck end is proper grubby, matches the surrounding area. Fuel tank end is pretty clean. See through yellow tinted.

Thanks dude. 

dvderlm

Fuel safe  PVC with wire reinforcement?

It'll turn yellow with age and fumes.

Eviljohn

Apart from givin me a headache, will it do any damage if it's not attached for a day or two? I'm not doin any long trips, just a mile or so round trip to work and back.

dvderlm

Only to the environment, but there's no charcoal capture system, and even that vents back to atmosphere if car not run to temp.

Don't pick up any smoking hitchhikers.

Eviljohn

Okay. Thank you guys very much.