Sign in to follow this  
zob

European single-trip breakdown cover - Polos are too old?!

zob

I'm trying to sort out some breakdown cover for a trip through France this summer and every bloody company I've gone through will only cover vehicles younger than 20 years old! Does anyone know of any decent companies out there that would serve a 25 year old Polo?

steveo3002

cant suggest anyone but check they will actually bring the car home if the cost exceeds the value of the car , some wont

zob
2 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

cant suggest anyone but check they will actually bring the car home if the cost exceeds the value of the car , some wont

Thats pretty much the only reason i'd want the cover to be honest - if its something I can't repair myself (we'll be taking spares and bits for jury-rigging) then it needs to get back home somehow.

Called the RAC and they say they can repatriate regardless, although it ain't cheap! Ahh well.

steveo3002

yeah id guess most people assume thats what will happen , ive heard of them wanting to write the car off rather than bring it back on low value cars 

just be 110% sure thats what youre getting 

zob
12 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

Thanks for that - I hadn't seen their classic section on my last trawl. Looks like they have a similar policy to RAC's 'Comprehensive' plan but stop short at repatriation at any cost. What concerns me is the use of the term 'market value' in all of these Ts&Cs - surely just the bluebook price which must be a pittance for a 25 year old Polo, non?

nige8021

There were a few others when I searched for "Classic" recovery but chances are they they all have the same "market value" wording, but that isn't the glasses guide price, I would hope they apply a realistic market value? @Christian6N comes over to the Social every year in his 6N1 from Germany and I'm sure he has breakdown/recovery cover 

zob
19 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

There were a few others when I searched for "Classic" recovery but chances are they they all have the same "market value" wording, but that isn't the glasses guide price, I would hope they apply a realistic market value? @Christian6N comes over to the Social every year in his 6N1 from Germany and I'm sure he has breakdown/recovery cover 

Indeed - and if it doesn't exist on the kelley bluebook ('93 polo certainly doesn't) or any other similar system then the least you'd think they could do would be to use the insured value as a guide? Find that Mk2f polos fall through the gap between classic car valuers and the usual second-hand sites.

Meh, I think I'll go for the RAC's deal. Seems sensible enough

nige8021

Might be worth sending @NebulaicToaster a PM as they did a road trip to Portugal and see if they got any cover ?

NebulaicToaster

I had AA cover for any car I was in that I extended to THE EU for a month. Worked out as about £120. Never needed it (only broke down once due to blocked jets) so I don't know if they actually would cover the polo.

NebulaicToaster

But they've definitely recovered my polo (89) and my Rocco (92) in the UK so I assume they cover in the EU

Smig1003

Try your insurance company. I took my mk1 Golf round Europe last year and Adrian Flux  provided breakdown cover for about £70.

zob
11 hours ago, NebulaicToaster said:

But they've definitely recovered my polo (89) and my Rocco (92) in the UK so I assume they cover in the EU

I assumed the same thing with my breakdown company (green flag, although I've never used them) - called them and they said they wouldn't extend the cover to the continent as the car is too old! My guess that as its more expensive to do breakdown recovery on the continent (extra middle-men) that the underwriters won't accept the risk associated with vehicles past a certain age.

11 hours ago, Smig1003 said:

Try your insurance company. I took my mk1 Golf round Europe last year and Adrian Flux  provided breakdown cover for about £70.

With Direct Line and they couldn't provide EU breakdown to the level I want - stated the same as above; Polo too old.

What I need is the assurance that if something terrifying happens and I can't fix it that they'll either sort it out or send it back home. The RAC confirmed they'd do this unless 'the car was crushed in a wreck'.

Thanks for the help!

steveo3002

have you got it in writting or the call center staff just said it ?    you need something to fall back on if youre stuck on the side of the road with a engine hanging out

id take a good stock of spares too , should help cover alot of breakdown hassles

zob
5 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

have you got it in writting or the call center staff just said it ?    you need something to fall back on if youre stuck on the side of the road with a engine hanging out

id take a good stock of spares too , should help cover alot of breakdown hassles

Oh I totally agree - won't be handing over that much cash without it in writing. However the value of a car like our Polos will be down to the discretion of the underwriter at the end of the day - things like this are all about managing risk. Considering they'll pay for up to 1k of parts and labour in the event of French workshop repairs I think its worth it.

Planning to take a 'first aid' kit of various fixings, clamps, straps etc. as well as o-rings, gaskets, spare sensors, thermostat, HT leads, plugs, yadda yadda. Basically all the small bits that will fit in a box! Main thing is having it ready to drive 2,000 miles+ in the height of French summer - cooling system is considerably better than it was when I bought it so should be golden.

Last year I was in a 2003 Fiat Punto that, amazingly, didn't use its radiator fan all trip...until we were going up the Galibier in 1st gear...and it cut in...and almost shook itself to death... A lesson learned!