Long startup - error codes P2102, P0243, P0489

gjaf

Hi, I own a 2009 9n3 1.4tdi 70 with what I’m pretty sure is a BWB engine. I was driving recently when I thought the car went into limp mode. I switched the engine off and then tried to turn back on again, but it turned over for ages before starting and the engine warning light came on. I thought the issue might be the anti stutter valve, so I took it off and cleaned it, using the access to partly clean the EGR while I was at it.  While both seemed to be in need of a clean, this didn’t solve the problem, so I got the error codes read and among five faults was the cam position sensor. I’ve replaced the sensor and the error code related to that is now cleared, but I’m still left with three errors and the long turnover before starting. The error codes are:

P2102: throttle actuator control motor- circuit low 

P0243: turbo watergate solenoid A

P0489: EGR control circuit low

These can be cleared while the engine is on, but reappear at every start. Given the long turnover, I’ve been fighting a chronically low battery and haven’t been able to do any long or high speed runs since cleaning the anti-stutter and EGR.

I’ve resigned myself to selling, but would prefer to get the faults cleared before attempting to. Any words of wisdom?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gjaf

• nige8021

• vwfan3

• Pete1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Turns out fuse F14 had blown - i’ve replaced it, but now the car starts, but only when I push in the throttle but dies immediately. I now get no fault codes, but if I take out fuse F14, it’ll start but all the error codes return. Any suggestions would be really helpful!

F14 is the supply for the turbo actuator N75 valve and the heater element in the crankcase breather pipe, it wouldn't be the first time the breather heater element had gone short circuit so blowing the fuse

Following some more reading, I’m wondering if the position of the throttle actuator needs resetting or if I’ve not cleaned it sufficiently to stop it sticking. Would that be possible, and if so, any suggestions how I fix this? 

To do the correct Throttle body adaption, you will need a full version of VCDS, if when you say you cleaned it, did you move the butterfly ? as this can snap a gear in the mechanism and then the only option is a replacement TB

11 hours ago, nige8021 said:

......... did you move the butterfly ? as this can snap a gear in the mechanism 

Nigel, does this only happen with the VDO throttle bodies OR all of them ???

It is the throttle actuator (Siemens VDO) that I took out and cleaned - don’t think I moved it, if I did it was very gently. Given that I’m getting an error where the car starts with difficulty and immediately dies with fuse F14 in and registers no error codes, but starts with difficulty and keeps running with F14 out, I’m wondering if I could try starting with the fuse in, but the throttle actuator unplugged in order to isolate the error to just the throttle actuator (I know I’d get a P2100 error because the circuit would be open, but if everything else was working okay, I’d only expect this error). Interestingly I found some great strip down info and gear replacement kits for the throttle actuator, so I’d be pretty confident about checking it fully and replacing the gears if necessary. Got a suspicion it’s something other than the throttle actuator or as well as it though...

Just discovered a hole in my #2 vacuum pipe. Would that be the problem? throttle actuator seems to be working AOK!

D1D9573B-97A0-4361-AC84-C85691ACB96C.jpeg

Temporarily fixed this hole, but still no luck - starts but stalls immediately with fuse F14 in with no apparent error codes. Despite the battery previously having died from all the attempted starts, I don’t think it’s the immobiliser (although all the advice online for this fault says it’s this) - there’s no key icon on the dash when I try to start. Feels like I’m running into a dead end and wonder if it’s worth disconnecting and reconnecting the battery (potential fix for immobiliser). Would it be worth putting the old cam sensor back on to see if the new one’s bad / incompatible?

• 3 weeks later...

Still looking for solutions to this problem and would appreciate any help people could offer please

Current status: battery seems to be draining quickly and failing to charge with fuse F14 replaced (drained to almost nothing while left standing, had it on charge over the weekend with barely any power increase). I think the new camshaft position sensor may be causing the immediate stall at startup. Apparently the camshaft position sensor (hall sender?) is also on fuse F14, so may not have required replacement in the first place. Intake manifold seems to be working fine. There is a small nick in #2 vac line, which will need repair - temporary fix didn't last long, but temporary repair didn't seem to help.

Current hypothesis: something has blown fuse F14 and is now causing a short with fuse F14 in - not sure what this may be.
Crankcase breather heater?
Secondary air pump relay?

Next steps:
try to identify short - help required please
try removing fuse F14, charging battery, replacing original camshaft position sensor, replacing fuse F14, attempting to start.
Any other ideas?

Edited by gjaf

• 3 years later...

Hi @AngusWilk,

sorry to hear you’re having the same problem.

sadly I never got to the bottom of the problem to fix it -  the battery kept depleting so much while trying to diagnose, that it eventually became impossible. I sold the car - someone came with a new battery and was able to reset all the error codes and get it going long enough to drive away, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up with a dead battery the following morning.

My guess is that in my case the fuse was the main problem, and that when I replaced it I was getting an error because I’d changed the crank sensor while trying to diagnose.

If you haven’t already, I’d recommend replacing the fuse first and seeing how things go from there, then running all the vac pipes to make sure there aren’t any leaks, and repair/ replace if there are.

Best of luck!

Find and disconnect the crankcase breather heater, see if things improve. It will be doing nothing useful for you at this time of year anyway. Generally found at the point where a PCV output hose merges into intake pipework. Blue/black and brown wires, 2-pin connector.

@Pete1 is the crankcase breather heater on fuse F14 too? I don’t think I ever saw qn error code related to this, but it definitely seems conceivable as a candidate for why F14 blew in the first place!