Sign in to follow this  
feeblington

6n2 gearbox problems

feeblington

Hello again.

The lemon has struck back!

Its started giving me a nice crunch going into reverse and while moving quite stiff to get into 3rd. Now its becoming hard to engage first when sat at light and 2nd after pulling away.

Couple that with my clutch makes a wierd hiss/whirr when depressed.

Also I have changed gearbox oil and it was a little metalic which worries me but slightly smoother going into reverse and 1st. Havnt driven it wince oil change tho. What could it be? Linkages or something more serious 😯

caretakerplus

The symptoms that you describe are classic clutch problems.

It may well be that the clutch isn't actually worn, although what you describe as a 'hiss/whirr' is probably from the clutch release bearing that has become tired.

The difficulty in engaging gears is probably due to the clutch having become contaminated with oil - not enough to make it slip, but sufficient to prevent it from fully clearing.

The only cure will probably be a new clutch, including release bearing, BUT if there is contamination there, that too will need to be addressed, otherwise the new clutch will be short lived.

Don't worry too much about the gearbox oil looking a LITTLE metallic - It could well be the original oil that you have drained out and what you are seeing is the result of ?????? miles worth of gear changing.

Most of this is probably from the synchro units, which work by friction prior to the locking together of the two (for want of a better description ) dog clutches that engage the gears.

It is no bad thing to change the gear oil from time-to-time, but mostly there is no requirement for this on the service schedule.

Regards

feeblington

I suspected a release or pilot bearing. Eurg. And considering the age of clutch i hope its more toward adjustment. Some folks on another forum said could be pedal box related....😯 This may be the end of the polo as im a poor ass 🙁

feeblington

Little update too. Its only 1st and reverse thst are awkward. The rest have smoothed out since oil change. Could this just be linkage...couples with a worn release bearing like you said (im hoping for the best outcome here hahs)

nige8021

There was a recall for the pedal boxes so it's most likely this repair was carried out, but to check get a good torch and get your head into the footwell and you can see the pedalbox, then look around the end of the pedalbox by the clutch pedal pivot shaft, and if you see any cracks then your looking at a new pedalbox, they were around £65 a couple of years ago and a couple of man/hrs to replace.

The cable change gearboxes like you have don't in general tend to suffer with the linkage going out of adjustment, so if the pedalbox looks good it's probably time for a new clutch  

• Like 1

feeblington

Bugger.and cheapest clutch replacement is..lots?