Eviljohn

Hi polo people. 

Hope you're all well.

Had an issue with fuel smell in my breadvan recently. Turned out to be breather pipe not connected to filler neck properly. Only just had to put fuel in but the tank is now too high! Can't get nozzle in filler neck properly. Whatever i put in just gets spat back out.

I'm gonna call the garage again today.

How easy is it to drop the fuel tank down just about 1/4 inch? Maybe less. Can it be done pretty quick and painless? I know the garage will take it back and sort it but it may not happen for a day or two.

Thanks for stopping by and any help you can give.

caretakerplus

Are you saying that you have had a new tank fitted by the garage?

If this is the case, I would recommend that you allow them to sort it out for you, as what may have happened, is that they have fitted a 'patterned' tank that is slightly out of tolerance.

Regards

steveo3002

broom handle in the filler neck to tweak it has been mentioned on forums before

id agree let the garage make it right if they did the job 

Eviljohn

The new tank was fitted by a local garage in January last year. There has been a fuel smell since it was fitted. Turned out to be the large breather not connected to the filler neck. They sorted that out and went through the rest of the fuel line just to be sure. Fuel smell sorted. I took it back a couple days later as the fuel gauge wasn't working. Turned out to be the earth cable not connected properly on the inspection flap under back seat, (that's the only thing they changed anyway.) But since then, the angle of the filler neck has been adjusted to the point where the nozzle of a fuel pump will not go in properly. I've reached in behind the shell to try and pull it back down and that did make a little difference, just needs to be pulled/adjusted a tiny bit more. I have called them to tell them the issue and they've said if i can't do it, swing by and they'll do it for me. I do trust them. All the other work they've done has been fine and to be honest, fairly priced. 

Broomstick you say? I have one of those. I'm guessing you mean the metal/aluminium ones as opposed to wood, (splinters/general crap.) Could maybe use the handle from my trolley jack. If it comes to it anyway. 

Thanks for getting back to me dudes. Have a great weekend.  

steveo3002

yeah jack handle sounds ideal...maybe loosen the tank mounting strap and see if you can pursuade it to move a bit