Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Shift rod gearbox oil seal replacement mk2f ?

1vw2many

Hi what's involved with replacing the shift rod oil seal on 085 gearbox?

Gear box is out but not quite sure how I go about changing the seal ? 

Many thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1vw2many

• nige8021

• zob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll have a much easier time of it with the box off the car! Couple of things I found when I did mine recently: The tip in the doc about wrapping the shaft in electrical tape to protect it f

nige8021

Yeah makes no real differance to the proccedure in that document, it just means your not laying on your back doing it 

You'll have a much easier time of it with the box off the car! Couple of things I found when I did mine recently:

• The tip in the doc about wrapping the shaft in electrical tape to protect it from scoring was tricky to get to work but you may have better luck with your improved access. I just said a prayer and hoped for the best while I tried to pry the old seal out as carefully as I could.
  • Couldn't get a self-tapper into the old seal to pry it out properly and equally couldn't punch in a small screwdriver like in the doc. The steel skeleton of the seal makes it a right pig - ended up just mashing it radially until the seal was smaller than the bush it sits in.
  • A good polishing of the input shaft with fine grit polishing paper would be a good idea
  • Like 1