Jamie/Arosa

Gearbox help needed! 6H/6N

Jamie/Arosa

Hi all, in need of some urgent help as I’m currently stuck. The selector that moves about and is attached to the gearbox with 2 bolts and connects to the mechanism coming off the gear shifter snapped tonight whilst in second. I can’t locate the part anywhere for the life of me apart from attached to gearboxes for sale. The car in question is a mk1 X reg Arosa with the ALD engine. I’ve been reading all night on different gearboxes but there’s seems to be a multitude of answers. So basically my questions are what is the part called? How much are they? and what gearboxes are a direct fit to the ALD? My release bearing doesn’t sound to great so I don’t mind replacing the gearbox and clutch at the same time as motorway cruising is a fuel killer as I’m sure you all know. I’ve been reading the 1.4 8v box fits? As I’ve seen people say they have the 1.0 box on the 1.4? I’ve found a 1.4 8v 6n box relatively close and what I’m assuming would be cheaper than a new part.

100FF30D-B03D-4367-8330-FAE16D5755DF.png

1763AB21-DAC8-4761-A929-B09B609C5E18.jpeg

Edited by Jamie/Arosa

nige8021

First Welcome to the forum.

That unit is called the "relay" assembly here's the part number for the whole unit https://seat.7zap.com/en/e/arosa/ar/1999-232/7/711-711030/#68  or just the cast item https://seat.7zap.com/en/e/arosa/ar/1999-232/7/711-711030/#55  

The gearbox is an 085 series and yours will be either a DXD or ESY Code those codes were also fitted to the Polo 6N1/6N2 or Lupo 1.0L but as you have already found the same fitting gearbox was fitted to the 1.4 & 1.6 Polo's but you will need it to be from a post 97/8 model as the earlier ones had a different gearchange mechanism if you have a look at this https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/topic/317419-085-gearbox-code-identification/  I have posted some PDF's with all the 085 gearbox ratios, so you can try and pick one to suit your needs 

Jamie/Arosa

Thanks for the welcome and fast response! Not even slept yet aha. I may have to get some rest before I look at any PDFs. I don’t think my mind can handle much more at this point. Most appreciated for your help. I’m assuming it would be a lot easier and cheaper to swap a box than trying to disassemble the relay? Looks like a headache and I bet they ain’t cheap complete...

Edited by Jamie/Arosa