To improve security of our users, we have changed the way you sign in. From today, you will need to use your EMAIL ADDRESS, and not your 'display name'. ×
Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
To improve security of our users, we have changed the way you sign in. From today, you will need to use your EMAIL ADDRESS, and not your 'display name'.

Hi all, I’ve noticed my 97 6n is handling really poorly on the motorway, seems to be bouncing all over the place, steering really vaguely and blowing around more than it used to and just being a pita to drive.

Im on original shocks with 40mm lowering springs so the shocks are probably pretty dead, however 

My control arm bushes seem pretty bad too but what I want to know is what I should replace first on a limited budget to see the biggest improvement in handling?

I’ll sort the rest come mot when I’ve got some cash.

cheers!

Edited by rusty

Forgot to mention I can only afford one pair of either control arms, front or rear shocks for a month or so

My approach is cheapest things first. You'll need to get tracking done for control arms and maybe for front shocks too.

If you bounce it while stationary is any corner worse than the others in how much it rebounds.

Also roads are such a state make sure you've not got a bust spring coil near the mount... 

3 minutes ago, dvderlm said:

My approach is cheapest things first. You'll need to get tracking done for control arms and maybe for front shocks too.

If you bounce it while stationary is any corner worse than the others in how much it rebounds.

Also roads are such a state make sure you've not got a bust spring coil near the mount... 

I ended up biting the bullet and grabbing a pair of front shocks and tbh it’s made a world of difference, not 100% still but at least I’m not driving a cruise liner anymore. 

It’s amazing the difference between the new and old shocks when I had them off the car, could hear all the oil sloshing around when I tilted the old ones 

• Like 1