Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Hi there every one this is my first post so please bear with me...I have a 1998 6n 1.4 petrol polo which has been playing me up slightly the problem is fuel I have to put a bit of fuel in the throttle body for it to start then it will start all the time well when I say all the time if I leave it for a few hours I have to put some more fuel in the throttle body and away she go's..I have changed the fuel filter but still the same..when the car is running I have unplugged each injector to see if they are working which they are..any help would be appreciated 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brocky

• nige8021

• oollie2

• steveo3002

At a guess I would say this could be something along the lines of a weak fuel pump, as they can deteriorate over time.

If this isn't the case, I assume you are not leaking fuel anywhere? It could be as simple as injector seals /  intake seals that are damaged?

steveo3002

what happens if you repeatedly cycle the key..any better?

id think along the lines of pump or some valve that holds the pressure ...id have thought it would store a code for it too so get it scanned 

nige8021

First Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the system isn't holding pressure there is a test for this, you need to put a pressure gauge in the supply line from the tank (White connector) and the fuel rail and with the engine running it should be 3 bar, switch engine off 

Observe pressure drop on pressure gauge. After 10 minutes the pressure must not drop below: engine codes ADX, AEA, AEV: 1.2 bar: engine codes AEE, AER, AEX, AKV, ALL, ANX, APQ: 2 bar.

If the pressure drops further:

–Check line connections for leaks.

If no fault in lines is detected:

–Renew fuel delivery unit.

11 hours ago, oollie2 said:

At a guess I would say this could be something along the lines of a weak fuel pump, as they can deteriorate over time.

If this isn't the case, I assume you are not leaking fuel anywhere? It could be as simple as injector seals /  intake seals that are damaged?

No fuel leaks ive checked so all good there I am leaning more to the fuel pump 

7 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

what happens if you repeatedly cycle the key..any better?

id think along the lines of pump or some valve that holds the pressure ...id have thought it would store a code for it too so get it scanned 

I have tried that and nothing it don't even try to start...next step is to get it to the garage and put on the fault machine...

6 hours ago, nige8021 said:

First Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the system isn't holding pressure there is a test for this, you need to put a pressure gauge in the supply line from the tank (White connector) and the fuel rail and with the engine running it should be 3 bar, switch engine off 

Observe pressure drop on pressure gauge. After 10 minutes the pressure must not drop below: engine codes ADX, AEA, AEV: 1.2 bar: engine codes AEE, AER, AEX, AKV, ALL, ANX, APQ: 2 bar.

If the pressure drops further:

–Check line connections for leaks.

If no fault in lines is detected:

–Renew fuel delivery unit.

Regarding the fuel pressure when I got in from work (I don't use my car for work) I took the feed fuel line of the injector rail and there was no pressure at all there so I put it back on and turned the car over obviously it didn't start but checked the same fuel line and it had pressurised up...hope that makes sense 

nige8021

Yeah, that indicates the fuel pump non return valve is leaking, hence you have no initial pressure at the injectors, so that means a new pump unit 🙁

Cost wise, I would definitely try changing the intake seals just to make sure there’s no pressure loss there. 
However I definitely agree with all the above, really sounds like it’s full pump / non return valve related unfortunately.

7 hours ago, nige8021 said:

Yeah, that indicates the fuel pump non return valve is leaking, hence you have no initial pressure at the injectors, so that means a new pump unit 🙁

7 hours ago, oollie2 said:

Cost wise, I would definitely try changing the intake seals just to make sure there’s no pressure loss there. 
However I definitely agree with all the above, really sounds like it’s full pump / non return valve related unfortunately.

Thanks for everybodys help i will source a fuel pump and get it fitted...

11 hours ago, oollie2 said:

Thanks for all the help.. regarding the fuel pump is the none return valve built into the pump or is it a separate part... 

nige8021

The valve is part of the pump/delivery unit and isn't a separate/replaceable item

2 hours ago, nige8021 said:

The valve is part of the pump/delivery unit and isn't a separate/replaceable item

Thanks I wasn't to sure..

I am after a bit more help/advice if you all don't mind. I am looking for a fuel pump for my polo..bear with me here...the code on the one in my car is..6 NO 919-051-L...228-231-003-001 which when I look on ebay says it is for a 1.0 polo...when I look at the one for a 1.4 which my car is it's code is 6NO-919-051-N..the fuel pump in my car looks original but it could have been changed sometime..the only difference I can see are the letters at the end would this make a difference...thanks 

nige8021

Have a look at these links as the part number depends on the chassis numbers https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/1998-158/9/919-919050/  &  https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/1998-158/9/919-919051/  as you have the 1.4mpi you will need the 3.0bar pump unit