Sign in to follow this  
feeblington

6n2 release bearing

feeblington

Hello all i'm hoping someone can offer me some guidance.

The release bearing / guide sleeve went on my polo 1.4 16v 75hp aua engine . Had the garage repair it with my parts which was a borg and beck 3pc clutch and generic guide sleeve. After 60 miles it failed again. Seeing how it could have been my cheap arse i got a genuine vag guide sleeve and an luk bearing which is what the garage said all i needed and recommended a cable as it was ropey (which to be fair i knew it was) now. After 500 miles its failed AGAIN. I also had AA confirm the release bearing had gone before getting shamefully towed home a 3rd time.

Also just a bit more detail in those 500 miles the clutch was juddery as hell when engaging, but this is the first time ive had a new clutch so wasnt sure if this was bedding in or something not right.

My question is, is there something else thst is causing the guide/bearing to fail or am i able to point fingers at the garage for mucking it up. 

Thanks all

feeblington

Anyone?

dvderlm

Did you get to see the damaged release bearing?

Or where it clips into gearbox?

Any damaged pressure plate fingers?

Could the pedal box be a bit detached, that would make smooth engaging difficult, putting stress on the cable?

Edited by dvderlm

caretakerplus

Welcome to the Forum.

Its difficult to understand how a release bearing could fail in 60 miles, especially as it was a Borg and Beck part.

I am thinking on the same lines as dvderlm - If either the cable or the pedal box is causing the release bearing to be in constant contact with the fingers, it would be constantly revolving, something it is not intended to do, even so, I would expect it to last more than 60 miles of normal driving.

One of the most common causes of clutch failure, is 'pilot error' - the habit of resting the left foot on the clutch pedal, and/or slipping the clutch when moving off or manoeuvring. (I am not saying that this has been the cause in your case.)

Early clutch failure is often caused by poor practice whilst fitting, but this will affect the driven plate, rather than the release bearing.

It would be as well to check the condition of the release fingers when the box is out, as a seized bearing could have damaged them.

Regards