schneil

Tappet noise? (Polo GT, 3F code)

schneil

Recently when cold, my car engine sounds a bit "tappy".

It quietens down once warm, and I can only hear it when the engine is revved a little.  Sometimes it goes completely.

It might be worn tappets.  Are they expensive to replace?

Is it cheaper to try an oil change?

steveo3002

what car /age

when did it last have an oil change...rattly tappets would be a sign the oil is past its best and needs changing 

for most vw theyre not that expensive to buy and can be replaced diy ...or some of them can be taken apart and cleaned 

steveo3002

yeah ok so hyd tappets...£40 a set or try cleaning them if cash strapped

damunk

i thought i had tappet noise after car had been sat a few weeks. i was certain it was tappets. it went only when car was warming up.

turned out to be exhaust gasket where manifold meets exhaust. it was a tapping noise amplified in the garage which would speed up when revving engine.

i noticed on driver side wheel wishbone it was all greasy and black sooty, exhaust was blowing crap onto there.

schneil
On 27/08/2019 at 12:32, steveo3002 said:

what car /age

when did it last have an oil change...rattly tappets would be a sign the oil is past its best and needs changing 

for most vw theyre not that expensive to buy and can be replaced diy ...or some of them can be taken apart and cleaned 

The car had a service in January including an oil and filter change.  It;s a 1993 Gt. The engine has done about 140000 miles, but had a full rebuild 12 years ago.  It has done 30000 miles since the rebuild.

I looked at the oil. its nice and clear, not black and gunky.

Do you know where I can get the tappets from?  What other parts will need to be changed at the same time?

Here's the engine after a 100 mile drive from the Yorkshire Dales

Edited by schneil

schneil
On 03/09/2019 at 07:38, steveo3002 said:

these are a good brand 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-OEM-INA-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-1-9-TDI-Hydraulic-Lifter-Tappets/152594626486

nothing else required , maybe a gasket for the rocker if you want 

just fit them with plenty of oil on all surfaces 

Could you help me with a link to a rocker gasket?

Also do you think it's worth changing the camshaft oil seal? If so do you have a link for that?

I think I'm leaking a bit of oil from one of the rocker cover bolts (see near the timing belt).  Do you have a link for one of those as well?

(Sorry for the shopping list - I thought I might as well get all that refreshed while I'm at it)

steveo3002
schneil