Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Engine noise - possibly common?

GatisGirdenis

Hi!

I have an issue with my current (and previous engine to some extent)

I have this noise that drives me nuts, previous engine was quite worse, but IIRC pretty much similar. On the previous engine I changed rod bearings, tappets, even piston rings (while I was in there as I wanted to check if there is any play in the wrist pin), and the noise still persisted.

On the current one I only swapped out the tappets to ones that felt solid to squish.

Is this tappet noise?

Youtube link here

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. it sort of loud as I currently don't have an exhaust on postcat.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GatisGirdenis

• caretakerplus

• steveo3002

caretakerplus

It certainly sounds like tappet noise - but I have heard a lot worse.

If you decide to change the tappets, check also for any signs of flaking on the nose of the cams. You can do a basic comparison of cam lift with a pair of callipers.

Regular oil and filter changing certainly helps to keep the hydraulic tappets healthy.

You caught me out with the term 'wrist pin' - then I remembered that it is an Americanism for gudgeon pin.  😃

Regards

GatisGirdenis
19 hours ago, caretakerplus said:

It certainly sounds like tappet noise - but I have heard a lot worse.

If you decide to change the tappets, check also for any signs of flaking on the nose of the cams. You can do a basic comparison of cam lift with a pair of callipers.

Regular oil and filter changing certainly helps to keep the hydraulic tappets healthy.

You caught me out with the term 'wrist pin' - then I remembered that it is an Americanism for gudgeon pin.  😃

Regards

Could not soaking them in oil cause the noise on even new hydro tappets?

I guess I should measure the cam as well but it didnt seem worn.

And yeah, I use mixed English as it's my third language, so I gather information from random english websites and dont sort the language into British or American 😃

steveo3002

its an old wives tale about soaking the tappets in oil , yes oil the outside but its not a sponge it wont soak up oil..wouldnt be that 

yeah possibly a worn cam , has it been driven ?  it can take a few miles for tappets to fill up and silence 

GatisGirdenis
2 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

its an old wives tale about soaking the tappets in oil , yes oil the outside but its not a sponge it wont soak up oil..wouldnt be that 

yeah possibly a worn cam , has it been driven ?  it can take a few miles for tappets to fill up and silence 

I just compared the videos I had of the previous engine with some good headphones and the noise was definitely something heavier, possibly worn piston skirts or crank.

These current tappets are not all new, I replaced just the ones that were easy to squish and made an "emptier" sound when tapped with a rubber mallet (im barely a mechanic what do I know).

And yeah, I have driven it for about 400kms now.

I am in a rough economical state now so I got to save the money where I can, so I havent tried new tappets yet. Invested quite a bit of money in the previous engine hoping it would fix the noise, but it persisted and it got worse every minute.

This was the previous noise - Yootoob

Edited by GatisGirdenis
steveo3002

got a brand new cam here you can have for cheap...but im guessing postage would spoil it 

steveo3002

if you still fear its the tappets , you can dismantle them and clean /check inside

put the tappet in the palm of you hand and slam down onto a block of wood...takes a hard slam to get them apart , you  can then clean with solvent and reassemble 

Edited by steveo3002
caretakerplus

One point about the tappets - Before you clean them, check that the face that is contacted by the cam is FLAT - If it is concave, you are wasting your time stripping and cleaning - it needs a new tappet.

OK, two points ! -  Don't mix the components, when new, the tappets are selectively assembled, so it is good practice to deal with them one-at-a-time to avoid mixing parts.

Regards

GatisGirdenis
On 01/09/2019 at 13:01, caretakerplus said:

One point about the tappets - Before you clean them, check that the face that is contacted by the cam is FLAT - If it is concave, you are wasting your time stripping and cleaning - it needs a new tappet.

OK, two points ! -  Don't mix the components, when new, the tappets are selectively assembled, so it is good practice to deal with them one-at-a-time to avoid mixing parts.

Regards

Some had what seemed like heat rings on them, but dont really remember them being concave, but the possibility of them being worn is there.

Isn't that about the mechanical tappets? Hydraulic one's should be self adjusting for the most part?

caretakerplus

Providing that the contact face of the tappet is flat, it should be OK - The markings that you mention are probably not critical.

I WAS referring to hydraulic tappets - there isn't any adjustment.

My point was that, during initial assembly, the components that fit inside each other are selected for optimum fit from a batch of newly made components.

If the fit is too 'slack' there will be a loss of oil and the tappet might rattle.

If it is too 'tight', it may not slide as it should, so the tappet becomes solid, leading to either rattly tappets or (far worse) valves not closing.

Regards