Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

6KV Wheel no longer straight after accident

Hi everybody,

First post, sadly it's on a bad note. 

I came to the UK with my 6KV from Estonia last week. While here I was turning right to another road when another driver overtook me. I hit him with the right side of the car which caused damage to my headlight, bumper, wing and seems to have caused the wheel to be bent slightly.

The car drives, but it feels as if the wheel is "jumping around" if that makes sense. 

Checking under the car, I can't seem to find anything bent that would cause this issue. I was hoping someone with more an expert eye might see something I'm not so here's a picture of the two wheels with the steering wheel in the straight position, along with a picture of the right side wishbone and trackrods: https://imgur.com/a/YMUA81N

Thanks and hello again!

IMG_3030.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lulzyboy

• dvderlm

• caretakerplus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry to hear that, nobody hurt I hope.

Did you drive back to Estonia with the damage?

Any knocking sounds from the front?

Could the hub or wheel bearing be damaged?

If you jack up the car with handbrake on and spin wheel it might make crunch noises.

Grasp wheel at 3o'clock and 9o'clock and try to rock it left right, same with hands at 12o'clock and 6o'clock.

Might need someone to hold steering wheel.

Then compare to other side.

1 hour ago, dvderlm said:

sorry to hear that, nobody hurt I hope.

Did you drive back to Estonia with the damage?

Any knocking sounds from the front?

Could the hub or wheel bearing be damaged?

If you jack up the car with handbrake on and spin wheel it might make crunch noises.

Grasp wheel at 3o'clock and 9o'clock and try to rock it left right, same with hands at 12o'clock and 6o'clock.

Might need someone to hold steering wheel.

Then compare to other side.

The car and me are in Liverpool at the moment. I have family here so can stay a while. I checked the wheel bearing already, seems fine. There's no play in the wheel when moving it left or right and I can't hear any knocking, only the sound of the wheel jumping off the ground

Had a feel of the springs and I can't feel anything broken there. The whole suspension and shock seems to fit nicely 

• 3 weeks later...
caretakerplus

Welcome to the Forum.

It may simply be the angle at which the photograph is taken from, but it looks a little strange to me, almost as if the drive shaft is not on the wheel centreline.

After accident damage, it pays to do a 'Drop Test' as follows:

With the car on a clean,dry,  reasonably level area, use a plumb line (a pointed plumb weight is most accurate) - drop the line from as many points on BOTH sides of the car as you can access, mark the floor with chalk in the general area where the plumb comes to rest, then with a pencil, mark the EXACT point on the chalked floor where the tip of the plumb points to -  Drop from both the cars chassis and from points on the wishbone.

Carefully, measure and drop a line to the floor to mark the cars centreline.

Move the car away, preserving the marked floor.

With the aid of an assistant, place a chalk line on (for example) the pencil mark representing the left hand front wishbone mounting mark and on the right hand rear wishbone mounting mark and 'ping' the chalk line to leave a mark on the floor - repeat this on the right hand front to left hand rear wishbone marks to form an 'X' on the floor.

Do the same with your other drop points.

The centre of all the 'Xs' should be on the marked centreline - any that do not cross on the centreline represent something being out of alignment or bent, for example, a bent wishbone or chassis.

For this to be successful, care needs to be taken to ensure that ALL of the points from which the plumb line is dropped, are EXACTLY the same place on each side of the car.

The more points that are dropped from, the more accurate the results will be.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/10/2019 at 16:05, caretakerplus said:

Welcome to the Forum.

It may simply be the angle at which the photograph is taken from, but it looks a little strange to me, almost as if the drive shaft is not on the wheel centreline.

After accident damage, it pays to do a 'Drop Test' as follows:

With the car on a clean,dry,  reasonably level area, use a plumb line (a pointed plumb weight is most accurate) - drop the line from as many points on BOTH sides of the car as you can access, mark the floor with chalk in the general area where the plumb comes to rest, then with a pencil, mark the EXACT point on the chalked floor where the tip of the plumb points to -  Drop from both the cars chassis and from points on the wishbone.

Carefully, measure and drop a line to the floor to mark the cars centreline.

Move the car away, preserving the marked floor.

With the aid of an assistant, place a chalk line on (for example) the pencil mark representing the left hand front wishbone mounting mark and on the right hand rear wishbone mounting mark and 'ping' the chalk line to leave a mark on the floor - repeat this on the right hand front to left hand rear wishbone marks to form an 'X' on the floor.

Do the same with your other drop points.

The centre of all the 'Xs' should be on the marked centreline - any that do not cross on the centreline represent something being out of alignment or bent, for example, a bent wishbone or chassis.

For this to be successful, care needs to be taken to ensure that ALL of the points from which the plumb line is dropped, are EXACTLY the same place on each side of the car.

The more points that are dropped from, the more accurate the results will be.

Regards

Just an update:

I haven't forgotten about the forum or the problem. I had to leave the UK for now and leave the car there but I will perform the test when I get back to the UK and check the chassis. Thanks