macca.mk2

Replacement carb for '83 MK2

macca.mk2

Hey. First post and pretty desperate!

Throttle linkage is knackered on my '83 MK2 - garage have said they have to replace the entire carb. Does this sound right?
If so, can anybody point me in the right direction where to source the best carb?

My last car was an '89 model and I replaced the original carb with a Weber as suggested by a mate - resulted in a manual choke being put in and ultimately being the biggest pain in the ass, she never ran the same after that! So I'm a bit reluctant to go down that road again......

Any tips or advice would be awesome.
Cheers, Anna

dvderlm

linkage could be cable or levers on the carb.

Cables can wear or even seize but the levers are nearly indestructible in my experience..

Which engine size?

macca.mk2

I think its the levers themselves that have broken accord to the garage...I'm gonna go down today to take a look

It's a 1.3

dvderlm

So that'll be a 30DMTR Weber or 32/34DMTL twin-choke hopefully. Normally an absolutely satisfactory upgrade.

I imagine the plastic throttle quadrant from Pierburg was transferred and that is now screwed.

Or the choke mech has jammed and worn so it does not pull down.

You might need to get the garage to fit a Weber 99902.495 lever. eg

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/weber-carburettors-parts/carburettor-parts-weber-carburettors-parts/other-parts/99902-495-weber-dmtl-spindle-lever/

dvderlm

don't see why not.

dellorto.co.uk sell a Pierburg repair kit for 2e.

So long as pulldown unit, 2nd stage vac unit and autochoke working and heating tubes still in place for the autochoke...

part channel heater heating, idle cut-off solenoid works..

Flipping complex the Pierburg.

But nice when it works right.

Edited by dvderlm

dvderlm

"not just the lever" that diagnosis does not fill me with confidence on their competence with carbs.

There is so little to go wrong on a Weber, and what might block can be fixed with compressed air and carb cleaner like engine breather oil in idle jet.

Even medium to big faults are not ruinous for a Weber. Worn needle valve, vac leaks at hoses or base, crud got past ancient fuel filter or torn/missing air filter,

split o-ring on mixture screw, fuel pressure too low (or too high), throttle shaft air leak can be fixed with bigger shaft but that's mega miles.

Water in fuel well ethanol crust could be scraped away, maybe ultrasonic clean.

Make sure you or the garage get a new rubber base mount for the Pierburg.