Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Mk2 polo 4 to 5 speed conversion

Mac_skriller

Hey guys I've got a mk2 1043 4 speed. Im looking to do a AFH conversion along with a 5 speed.

I've gathered that most 5 speed mk3 boxes will fit if I get everything with it (linkage, clutch, starter etc). Will i also need the gearbox mount?

Im in New Zealand where mk2/mk3s aren't very common. Hoping for some advice before I dive into it.

Cheers Jacob!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mac_skriller

• dvderlm

• prankstar2003

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Easiest with 5 speed top-mount, though you could make one if you can weld. See the picture. 4 speed has 3 vertical bolts. 5 speed has 2 horizontal.   https://volkswagen.7zap.c

Easiest with 5 speed top-mount, though you could make one if you can weld.

See the picture.

4 speed has 3 vertical bolts.

5 speed has 2 horizontal.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/1984-9/3/300-26000/#1

Get a 5-speed ARB to clear the end-plate.

If lowering also

Consider g-laderseite ARB bushes or similar to pull ARB forwards.

Stops it touching gearbox and improved caster angle for nicer cornering. 

• Like 1
Mac_skriller

I've been offered a 6n2 gti. I can pull the entire engine/box but I'm unsure if the ARC engine is a good swap choice.

prankstar2003

ARC has been done. If you keep the ECU you can use the VVT as well.

You'll need to swap the gearbox output flanges from you're 4 speed into the 5 speed that comes with the engine. I believe these grearboxes fit, but I could bee wrong. You'll need a mk2/2f 5 speed mount however