Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

MK2 Polo 1.3 Temperature Gauge Not Working

dpalmer_220992

Morning all

I've recently bought another MK2 1.3 coupe s and the temp gauge doesn't move what so ever. The car gets warm and blows warm air but I would like the gauge to work. Previous owner said it was intermittent before eventually failing completely. Does anyone have any ideas on where to look first?

Cheers, Dan

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dpalmer_220992

• steveo3002

• nige8021

• PHIL SWARBRICK

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nige8021

Take the wire off the sender unit and short it to the engine block/ground and the needle should go full scale hot with the ignition ON, if it does that will prove the wiring and the gauge, and that means the sensor has failed, if it doesn't move then either the wire to the speedo is open circuit or the gauge is faulty, does the fuel gauge work OK ? if not then you could be looking at the voltage stabiliser unit failed 

nige8021
37 minutes ago, dpalmer_220992 said:

Thanks for that, nice little simple test! Would that be the sensor with the yellow wire?

No those two sensors on the back of the cylinder head are the low oil pressure switches

dpalmer_220992

Ahh right my bad haha! I think I know where you mean, the 2 sensors down on the front right are covered in oil so that could be something to do with the issue. I'll get them looked at on Wednesday hopefully but thanks a lot for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
PHIL SWARBRICK

The sensors are on the plastic housing near the thermostat. There are new ones available online. They have sliding plastic circlips which hold them in place. I don't know why there are two. Perhaps someone else could answer that question.

steveo3002

black is for dash gauge , blue is for ecu signal on the 2f

Edited by steveo3002

The wire is prone to chafing at the plug as well. Might just want a new spade connector putting on.