cassiewoofer

lost my only key, DOH!

cassiewoofer

I have lost my only key to my 1.0 6N2 (yr 2000)

I feel like a right numpty.... I have been telling myself to get a spare cut since I got the car for £200 last year.

What is the best way to save this car?

caretakerplus

Due to the age of the car, it probably isn't going to be practical to order a new key by quoting the numbers to the parts department at your local VW dealership - but it is worth a try.

You could also try the VW Heritage website.

If you are locked out of your car, you may need a locksmith to gain entry for you unless you are in the AA/RAC.

In the worst case scenario, you will need a new ignition switch barrel and new door/boot locks, also you new key will need coding to the car.

Regards

Edited by caretakerplus

Yeti

Cheapest option is probably going to be a set of locks, keys and an ECU off a scrap car (I think the immobiliser is in the ECU, not the clocks on yours, someone will correct me if I'm wrong though). Or a set of locks and keys and send your ECU to somewhere like vagtronics to get the immobiliser disabled. 

VAG or a decent local automotive locksmith might do you a key, but expect to pay about the same as what you paid for the car. 

nige8021
1 hour ago, Yeti said:

(I think the immobiliser is in the ECU, not the clocks on yours, someone will correct me if I'm wrong though).

The Immobiliser is a separate box under the dash 

This might be the cheaper way around getting the immobiliser chip in a new/replacement key programmed https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/audi-immo-off-problem-bypass-free-running-diesel-petrol-vw-coil-key-box-repair/163634017870?hash=item261958f64e:g:ICYAAOSwSWJXROKu  with that you won't need the chip in the key

cassiewoofer

Thanks all for replies...... So they do store the key pattern somewhere at VW... is that connected to the reg or the Chassis/vin number?

I'm still hoping to find the key, I parked it right outside the house on Sheffield flood day 2 weeks ago.... so it's either in this tip of a house (opened the tinnies as soon as I warmed up)... or some drunk student's picked it up off pavement on the way home.

Just can't stand scrapping the thing after saving it from scrap doom and replacing a burnt valve and the head gasket... for a laugh!

I can get in the car easy thanks Caretaker. will try VW heritage.

nige8021

In theory VW should have the original key number on their files, but I doubt if the local stealership will go the extra mile and try and find it for you, a mobile locksmith would have the tool to read the profile and then cut a new key from that but it wouldn't be cheap 

• Like 1

cassiewoofer

So the key's physical cut pattern is stored in the ECU? I didn't know that..... thanks. As I understand it you can leave a key in the ignition for half an hour and it (the car)will reprogram the key electronics? It's fookin complicated! but It's an old car and I'm no criminal!

cassiewoofer

So the key's physical cut pattern is stored in the ECU? I didn't know that..... thanks. As I understand it you can leave a key in the ignition for half an hour and it (the car)will reprogram the key electronics? It's fookin complicated! but It's an old car and I'm no criminal!

Hope you all know this guy!

nige8021
1 hour ago, cassiewoofer said:

Where did you see/hear that ? the only place the key information is stored is in the immobiliser box and that is just the PIN code of the chip in the key, VW should have the key #/profile stored from manufacture but as I said getting that info from the stealership would be rare on a car of this year, the mobile locksmith has a tool that is inserted into the lock and by manipulating this they can read the key profile it's a mechanical device nothing electronic 

Again don't know where you've read that leaving a key in the ignition will somehow reprogram it ?? total bull*****

cassiewoofer

Cheers Nige!

Yeti

At least the tinnies survived!

@nige8021, I thought the immobiliser box just decoded the key and passed that number to the ecu? Or are these different to the van I had a headache with? 

nige8021
1 hour ago, Yeti said:

@nige8021, I thought the immobiliser box just decoded the key and passed that number to the ecu? Or are these different to the van I had a headache with? 

That's correct the reader coil energises the chip in the key, reads it's code, if it matches with one it has stored in the immob box it then sends the OK signal to the ECU

cassiewoofer
14 hours ago, Yeti said:

At least the tinnies survived!

There was no way I was losing sight of them! 

This communication between machines confuses me a bit. It's really complicated to get my head round. 

nige8021

As long as the code stored within the chip in the key matches the code stored in the immobiliser box, the immobiliser will then give a "GOOD" signal to the ECU to allow it to run the engine, if the codes don't match the car will start and run for about 2~3 seconds and then stop 

cassiewoofer

OK, thanks everyone for the info.... just had a quote from 3D autokeys for £120 incl. VAT (visit and reprogram incl)...... not too bad I thought!

• Like 1

Dean

Glad you got it all sorted out!

Yeti

That's not bad at all.

Ask them how much for two though eh? 😁

cassiewoofer

Yeah good point! I did consider two....... but I know a local place that copies keys and programs the transponder chip, for £35 so thought I'd help him out. But yes.... I'll get a spare VERY quickly this time! 3 D auto keys coming Tuesday... someone said they are buying work at the moment!

cassiewoofer

A big 👍 to 3D-Autokeys! A brilliant service. Big van with all cutting machines on board.... checked barrel before he started... a very experienced and conscientious worker!  now have my car back! They were available in 48hrs... but I didn't need car urgently.