Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Hi All,

I'm trying to fix a fault on a 1400 Polo (2008) indicated by a Fault Code P 0444. ( Evap Emission on system purge control Valve Circuit Open)   My first line of investigation is with the Purge Control Valve, but need some help in locating this item.  Any Leads on my initial search would be much appreciated.

Tks - Widdzy

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widdzy

• nige8021

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nige8021

First Welcome to the forum.

The evap valve is #5 in this picture 

BC7150F5-6496-4C6F-BC4E-0B7E89782F10.jpeg.117d44c315ec9b1e1aee82915141abec.jpeg

Assuming you have engine code BLM ? 

Hi NIge,

Brilliant result.

Found the valve, removed it and tested it. It all seemed ok and was in the normally closed position.

Replaced the valve, cleared the fault code and everything appears to be functioning ok with no codes now displayed.

Thanks for your help in locating the valve

Edited by Dean
Notice: This post was copied from email and inserted into the forums.

Thank you again Nige....

Well i went ahead and removed the Purge control valve. There didn't appear to be anything wrong with it. The default condition with no voltage applied was closed and this was confirmed when you try to blow through it but can't. Regardless, i bought another valve and replaced it. I erased the fault and the engine light went off and hey presto i thought this had sorted the problem. I went ahead and booked the MOT and drove perhaps for 20 miles before parking outside the MOT station. 

I explained the issue to the tester and advised that the problem was sorted - however - when i returned to pick up the car, he said the light had illuminated on start up, and as such this was an MOT failure.

So i'm back to square one again with the same code reading and scratching my head as to where to look next.

Any lines of investigation to help sort the problem i'd be thankful for,

Cheers  - Widdzy

nige8021
1 hour ago, widdzy said:

Hi NIge,

What does BLM stand For ?

Widdzy

BLM is the code for the engine, if you don't know what you have ? look at your V5 logbook and the first three letters of the engine serial number is the engines code.

Under the thermostat housing area there should be a black 16 pin connector, it might pay to disconnect that and make sure there are no corroded pins/sockets and check the wires coming out of the connectors as they can also suffer from corrosion and break off from their pins/sockets