Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

83 black breadvan

baller91

Just bought my second mk2 after about 4 years of wishing I never got rid of my first one.  

She is in a right state as fuel filler neck, wheel arch, fuel filler flap and battery tray is rotten.  There’s general surface on near all panels where paint has been damaged. And one half of the car is rattle canned. As far as I can remember the polo was taken off the road in 1998 to be used as a donor car.   So pretty happy to do the work to get her back on the road.  If anyone else has a black mk2.  I’d love to see it as I’m thinking of respraying  it back to gloss black.  

CD5201C7-4F9A-46F5-BD3C-C714EE770CD0.jpeg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• baller91

• Jim1500

• steveo3002

• Si007

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Excellent, keep it going! Check my buildthread if you wanna see what a rusty arch is like lol. The earlier cars had better metal in them.   This is the tank I got, took around 2weeks to

I’ll be making the panel Myself .   It will be different to original  As I’ll be making a very simple version of it.    I’m hoping my version will have a bigger gap between the filler neck and the rus

Posted Images

Jim1500

Cool couldn't be many black Mk2s!! I got a new tank of ebay recently from Germany was £60.50 posted and came within a couple of weeks. Search for a thread on fuel tanks here and you'll get the link!

baller91
16 hours ago, Jim1500 said:

Cool couldn't be many black Mk2s!! I got a new tank of ebay recently from Germany was £60.50 posted and came within a couple of weeks. Search for a thread on fuel tanks here and you'll get the link!

Cheers yeah will get one off eBay.  Did see heritage do them but imagine it’s going to be out of stock for a long time.   

Found the wheel arch to be a lot worse then I originally thought.  So getting the polo trailered to my work to get welded up properly.   So far the sills and floor pan looks solid. 

5744B14B-E942-4B34-93C5-81F3261310E1.jpeg

baller91

Quickly Chucked my three spokes on for now as the original steels are not worth sticking tires on. Need to find a decent set of 13s to stick on as the three spokes are just to big looking and don’t think they are the right sort of era for the car 

D2FBC0D9-41C2-4A4A-89CC-8A1CB68BA657.jpeg

baller91

Haven’t made much progress apart from stripping the carb , cleaning up the front calipers. And painting the rocker cam belt covers.  It’s nothing fantastic.   But it’s a lot better the  rust and flakey paint

F4BF85AA-686D-4E01-B7CD-09171FC41480.jpeg

Jim1500

Excellent, keep it going!

Check my buildthread if you wanna see what a rusty arch is like lol. The earlier cars had better metal in them.

This is the tank I got, took around 2weeks to come but that was over Christmas/New Year. The filler neck won't be perfect, other members have suggested adjusting with a brush shaft etc. It's 100 times better that the spurious one I bought years ago

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PETROL-FUEL-TANK-VW-DERBY-1-3-09-84-12-84-POLO-86C-1-0-1-3-84-94/371142211874?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Nephew has 14" Vento/Golf steels on his look really well, clear the arches well and a lot cheaper than G60s or alloys. Just another option for you 🙂 

Edited by Jim1500
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
baller91
On 12/01/2020 at 11:22, Jim1500 said:d adjusting with a brush shaft etc. It's 100 times better that the spurious one I bought years ago

Cheers.  Just managed to strip the interior out. And found the repair to be abit worse than I thought.  But rest of the car seems to be fairly solid.  

810E0958-5294-427D-BEBB-DF4BEC23C469.jpeg

baller91

Got a start on converting the seats over. As the originals are fucked.  
not sure if I’m going to Keep them tho as I not sure if they suit the car.   The original seat bases had snapped welds so ended up seam welding it back in place and welded the boulder support bars on.    Figured. This was an easier option as the 6n2 seats was height adjustable and didn’t really want to shorten the rear legs 

0BA04034-9CD1-4014-99DE-61DCE71F6F2D.jpeg

03C63726-3138-4D06-93FC-C0FD1E3F7861.jpeg

976BE457-41D0-42C7-90F4-991321F679C2.jpeg

baller91

Found this mess today.  Guess I need to sort it out now 

1C46074A-6E78-4F81-BED2-9B92AA25BD41.jpeg

5ECFF0EF-76F9-4C6F-BD41-BD8EC31B95AE.jpeg

CF8A53C9-272B-42E2-8ABB-3278668D13AE.jpeg

steveo3002

are you capable f repairing this?  would be intresting if you can update the progress , i think most polos will end up this way its a common spot 

handy how you can access it from inside with that panel cut away

baller91
20 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

are you capable f repairing this?  would be intresting if you can update the progress , i think most polos will end up this way its a common spot 

handy how you can access it from inside with that panel cut away

I’ll be making the panel Myself .   It will be different to original  As I’ll be making a very simple version of it.    I’m hoping my version will have a bigger gap between the filler neck and the rusted part so the build up of mud won’t rot the new piece 

• Like 1
Jim1500

Did all MK3s (MK2F) have a panel in front of filler neck to prevent dirt and debris from going up near the neck? I only ever looked at one for a mate and noticed that it had.

• 3 weeks later...
baller91

Managed to get a start on this repair.   As Allways there was more rot waiting to be found.  Don’t mind it so much when it’s just original metal.  But found acouple patch works to get through an mot.    

D3F7DFE4-F73C-4D13-955E-3AFBD8B04469.jpeg

• Like 1
steveo3002

just planning to refit the patch on the quarter are you?

never seen one with a plastic guard there ...some have made them from a front one  , i think regular washing in the winter will keep it okay , its where theyve had salty mud in there for years without being jetwashed that gets the rust started   

baller91

yeah will refit the peice once I’ve repaired it As the bottom has had a naff repair before.  Just trying to figure just how structural the inner wheel arch is.  As I’ve got an simple , easy repair in my head that doesn’t really have any structural strength.  But gives me maximum space in the arch for the fuel filler neck.  

baller91

Mocked up a real rough repair piece.  Not thrilled with how it looks but its hidden and does the job 😅.    

E7A6B69C-624C-4879-9FBD-794CCCD06E20.jpeg

baller91

More I dig, the more I find  but I’m slowly crossing it off the list 😪 gagging to get this polo on the road now D3F7DFE4-F73C-4D13-955E-3AFBD8B04469.thumb.jpeg.b527f62694a5953af9f86d8ded2694fb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
baller91

Managed to get the wheel arch fully welded up again.  Not my best work but it’ll do. Really not sure about the fuel filler flap peice as it just looks on the piss.   But I’ve copied the exact angle from the original so I think I’m just going to have to suck it up and see what it looks like painted.   

32AEA731-2AA6-4625-A6E9-169D1B337FC9.jpeg

baller91

Managed to get a bit of body work done aswell.   The yellow is just epoxy primer. Both panels has Been stripped down to bare metal and found two pin hole rust spots.  One on the wing and one under the window seal.    The thing is slowly starting to take shape again.  

0B52909B-6ECD-4ABF-97DA-FAF212CB59C5.jpeg

Jim1500

Wow, you've been busy! Assume you'll be keeping it black, rare enough colour.

• Thanks 1