Sign in to follow this  
baller91

83 black breadvan

baller91

Just bought my second mk2 after about 4 years of wishing I never got rid of my first one.  

She is in a right state as fuel filler neck, wheel arch, fuel filler flap and battery tray is rotten.  There’s general surface on near all panels where paint has been damaged. And one half of the car is rattle canned. As far as I can remember the polo was taken off the road in 1998 to be used as a donor car.   So pretty happy to do the work to get her back on the road.  If anyone else has a black mk2.  I’d love to see it as I’m thinking of respraying  it back to gloss black.  

CD5201C7-4F9A-46F5-BD3C-C714EE770CD0.jpeg

Jim1500

Cool couldn't be many black Mk2s!! I got a new tank of ebay recently from Germany was £60.50 posted and came within a couple of weeks. Search for a thread on fuel tanks here and you'll get the link!

baller91
16 hours ago, Jim1500 said:

Cool couldn't be many black Mk2s!! I got a new tank of ebay recently from Germany was £60.50 posted and came within a couple of weeks. Search for a thread on fuel tanks here and you'll get the link!

Cheers yeah will get one off eBay.  Did see heritage do them but imagine it’s going to be out of stock for a long time.   

Found the wheel arch to be a lot worse then I originally thought.  So getting the polo trailered to my work to get welded up properly.   So far the sills and floor pan looks solid. 

5744B14B-E942-4B34-93C5-81F3261310E1.jpeg

baller91

Quickly Chucked my three spokes on for now as the original steels are not worth sticking tires on. Need to find a decent set of 13s to stick on as the three spokes are just to big looking and don’t think they are the right sort of era for the car 

D2FBC0D9-41C2-4A4A-89CC-8A1CB68BA657.jpeg

baller91

Haven’t made much progress apart from stripping the carb , cleaning up the front calipers. And painting the rocker cam belt covers.  It’s nothing fantastic.   But it’s a lot better the  rust and flakey paint

F4BF85AA-686D-4E01-B7CD-09171FC41480.jpeg

Jim1500

Excellent, keep it going!

Check my buildthread if you wanna see what a rusty arch is like lol. The earlier cars had better metal in them.

This is the tank I got, took around 2weeks to come but that was over Christmas/New Year. The filler neck won't be perfect, other members have suggested adjusting with a brush shaft etc. It's 100 times better that the spurious one I bought years ago

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PETROL-FUEL-TANK-VW-DERBY-1-3-09-84-12-84-POLO-86C-1-0-1-3-84-94/371142211874?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Nephew has 14" Vento/Golf steels on his look really well, clear the arches well and a lot cheaper than G60s or alloys. Just another option for you 🙂 

Edited by Jim1500