Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Willysmiles build thread

Willysmiles

dvderlm

Is the vac advance capsule's tube connected to carbs?

If not try a tad more ignition advance by rotating distributor clockwise?

Mark it and mount so can put back to same place.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Willysmiles

• Jim1500

• damunk

• dvderlm

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great looking coupe dude, keep the pics coming!   That an 86ish Sunny estate I can see peaking into first pic?

Love that!! A neighbour had one that was identical to that other than the wheeltrims. My dad has driven Datsun/Nissan since the 70s so I've a huge soft spot for them.

Looks great, same colour as the one I'm working on at the moment. Any chance you've got a link to where you got the radiator and fan from? 

Posted Images

Willysmiles
4 minutes ago, dvderlm said:

Is the vac advance capsule's tube connected to carbs?

If not try a tad more ignition advance by rotating distributor clockwise?

Mark it and mount so can put back to same place.

I’ve got a balance bar on the manifold and that connects to the vac advance,   Do you know which direction is advance and retard on the dizzy? 

Cheers 

dvderlm

I don't like the term retard for ignition timing. 

On Polo

More advance by moving dizzy clockwise

Less advance by moving dizzy anti-clockwise.

Spark always happens Before Top Dead Centre.

Or, to help understand

You can take distributor cap off and watch which way the rotor arm spins when crank

You want to move the contact pins so they are reached by the rotor a fraction sooner and piston still has a way to travel.

Do this by rotating the distributor body the opposite way to rotor spin.

You might be able to loosen the two nuts then adjust while engine running, but I find that it won't budge then comes loose and overshoots.

Managed it on a Golf 1.6 where there's more to grab hold of.

Willysmiles

Thanks mate, guess I’ve got plenty of time now we’re in lock down to have a play and get it running right with what I have. 

Willysmiles

264 cam has arrived today, I went for the 264 as it maintains good low end torque and idle, my car is for fun road use so it still needs to be useable as a daily. 

7FEAFB75-EA0B-4187-AD15-0A33651EFD75.jpeg

Willysmiles
27 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

dont forget new tappets

Already bought an INA set along with a seal for the end 🙃 cheers for the heads up 

Willysmiles

6n2 gti rear brakes, axles ect.

front VW2 callipers with black diamond drilled and grooves disks.     All painted up (before&after) ready to build onto the powder coated beam. 

4F78BA72-30A9-415C-A81C-5AFD4990E52F.jpeg

• 4 months later...
Willysmiles

Ended up removing the rubbish bike carb pump and replacing it for a facet pump and malpassi regulator.   

8B568558-E9A3-4406-9D49-03428EF24092.jpeg

66FACED5-4E0F-4AFE-A0FB-0FE8E00ECEB3.jpeg

Edited by Willysmiles
Willysmiles

Red pinstripe grill, coupe S badge and blacked out indicator lenses fitted to the front.    Also managed to knock up a full stainless exhaust made from scraps around the workshop from other cars.  Mgb back box and an eBay resonator, sounds amazing and isn’t obnoxiously loud. 

D1BFC1A3-1897-4997-ACB5-A8D818DA9D5E.jpeg

B125F687-1243-4B0A-9304-AE53B5C84E36.jpeg

Willysmiles
2 hours ago, Jim1500 said:

That's looking superb! Are they 13" ats wheels?

Thanks!  14” ats cups 

i also wasted money on an expensive electric bike carb pump.

ive also done rear brake conversion with the 6n2 gear. rears run hot though. ive got the brake disc dust shields on them so there is no air flow to them

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

beautiful nice beam. thats one thing i regret not doing but i did so much cudnt be bothered. rear beam and front subframe change would be brill.

• 4 weeks later...
Willysmiles

Finally got round to making an aluminium radiator shroud to replace the mouldy cardboard one

74FCE5C8-1933-4B1C-9659-202E1A01D64C.jpeg

9C0AF600-C030-48D0-BC75-80DE99ECD8C8.jpeg

F7C9E60B-09C4-4494-9A7D-602389DC08E3.jpeg

Edited by Willysmiles
Willysmiles

And remade the radiator brackets much neater 

8ACF4ADA-D64A-469C-93EC-876F9CDBEED5.jpeg

Edited by Willysmiles
  • 1 month later...
Willysmiles

Purchased the H&R cup kit 60/40.   Instructions state 40mm to be removed off the front bump stops,  that’s a little tricky when there only  45mm long.  Chopped them by 30mm and left the rears standard.     Going to be running the 15mm spring spacers on the rear so the car will sit slightly higher than full drop. 

0291CAE3-F186-4FD7-86CA-5ADE936A07BB.jpeg

021DED8E-1351-432C-83DE-0BCA227BB528.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
Willysmiles
2 hours ago, Turbobandit said:

How did you fit the fuel pump ? 

It’s mounted off an aluminium bracket just above the front right tca mount.    It’s about inline with the tank so the pumps not working too hard.  Silver thing in the photo is an exhaust heat shield.

5D4A1A70-B3BC-43D0-A810-A8A63C904A04.jpeg

Willysmiles

Engine plans coming up, pretty set on an Eaton charged 1.4 ABD on bike carbs. Managed to get this Röhm motorsport rocker cover for the build.

27B8F146-5E6F-47EC-BA62-DAEE2C39B726.jpeg

Turbobandit

Willy smiles thanks for that . Did you leave the original pump in the tank and just disconnect the power to it ? Also what pump are you using ? 

Willysmiles
26 minutes ago, Turbobandit said:

Willy smiles thanks for that . Did you leave the original pump in the tank and just disconnect the power to it ? Also what pump are you using ? 

It’s a Mk2 so the fuel pump was mechanical off the camshaft.   I just made a blank plate and took it out.     Facet posi flow 4psi and a Malpassi regulator. 

Edited by Willysmiles