Willysmiles

Willysmiles build thread

Willysmiles

Been staring at peoples build threads for months now, so I decided to give my own a go.

bought a completely standard 1988 coupe s with only 60k miles on the clock! One old couple owner from new, it’s a true standard gem; however I’ve now got my hands on it...

my plan is to keep it looking mostly original looking but underneath have some nice mods to bring it to fast road spec,    well as fast as a 1.3 can be. 

More to follow over over the next few months! 

7BF47B82-31B1-4034-BD1D-37463B0D10E1.jpeg

Willysmiles

Changed the wheels to a set of ATS cups, fully refurbished with a new set of tyres. These are the 14” size and cost my £200 without the tyres

bumpers only off for some light paint as someone scraped it while they were parking. 

CBED3129-12B2-4841-AA88-02AEA58E227F.jpeg

Willysmiles

Scored a full danstengineering Zx6r bike carb conversion kit from eBay for only £200, hopefully will be fitting that in the next month or so. I will need it give it all a good run down and check it’s all there before I start to fit it.  I’m going to convert to an electric fuel pump as the carbs will be easier to tune with correct fuel pressure at all times.  Will keep you all posted on how the full install goes when I get round to it 

BF814A57-B696-496C-9868-9BF5CB0297BD.jpeg

Willysmiles

Pain in the ass cheap stainless header fitted, I’ve had to chop and weld the exhaust flexi to get it to not foul up on the gear change linkage.  Also fitted a full stainless system with a centre box delete. I have kept the original back box as I like the ‘pea shooter’ end can, it also keeps the original look. 

BC7F747E-BBD4-4835-9621-9D00CABDFBA7.jpeg

Willysmiles

Crinkle finish powder coat on the rocker cover, I’ve now bought a 40mm core aluminium radiator and 12” fan to fit at a later date. 

1C77A08B-8725-494C-BA1F-1D363C2D75D1.jpeg

Jim1500

Great looking coupe dude, keep the pics coming!

That an 86ish Sunny estate I can see peaking into first pic?

• Thanks 1

Willysmiles

Sure is well spotted,  it’s a family friends and makes out street look like a scene from the mid 80s 😂

777D0890-FD97-4A39-9F86-B1C8AE03376B.jpeg

Jim1500

Love that!! A neighbour had one that was identical to that other than the wheeltrims. My dad has driven Datsun/Nissan since the 70s so I've a huge soft spot for them.

Edited by Jim1500
  • Like 1

Willysmiles

Someone bust all my locks in last night didn’t manage to get into the car though.  😖 now I’m having to get in via the boot. 

39725674-91C7-422F-893B-0ABA9559B73C.jpeg

dvderlm

😲

kiran_182

You can code some.more barrels to your key

Also get the mk2 golf door handle armour plates

Willysmiles

How would I go about getting some more barrels? I just assumed they were all individual.    Nice one on the armour plates I’ll check them out.

thanks!

kiran_182

Pm me about it

Willysmiles

40mm aluminium radiator fitted with 12” fan.  Surprising amount of room between the manifold and fan. I’m not happy with any of the mounting brackets yet so I will remake them all much neater. 

C4EBBE34-3E07-42BC-812B-28CDE7320EB3.jpeg

EA61E05E-57CA-4DB6-9082-495B4A671930.jpeg

Jim1500

That looks well smart!

Willysmiles
1 hour ago, Jim1500 said:

That looks well smart!

Cheers buddy,  I’ll upload some more pictures when I sort the brackets out 

Saint Jimi

Looks great, same colour as the one I'm working on at the moment. Any chance you've got a link to where you got the radiator and fan from? 

Edited by Saint Jimi
  • Like 1

Willysmiles

http://www.coolexperts.co.uk/product/vw-polo-derived-westfield-aluminium-race-radiator/ It’s a coolex radiator,  I managed to get it second hand for £60 from Facebook.  Coolex can supply the fan also. Don’t worry about the fan switch as the original fits this radiator.    Brackets will have to be made to fit it but there not hard as it’s all accessible.

14 hours ago, Saint Jimi said:

Looks great, same colour as the one I'm working on at the moment. Any chance you've got a link to where you got the radiator and fan from? 

Willysmiles

Armour plates fitted, sprayed them in body colour so they don’t stick out as much.   Thanks for the suggestion guys! 

0D280836-CD7A-4E6E-A467-3521030220DB.jpeg

Jim1500

Looking well dude

Willysmiles

Ok I panic bought for this Covid-19 ‘lock down’  purchases include:

.powder coated rear beam

.full car polybush kit

.velocity stacks makes the carbs look amazing! 

.stainless braided hoses

.vw11 front Calipers and vented disks

.6n2 gti full rear disk brake setup 

.newman 264 camshaft and followers. 

Plus many stainless fixings and things to bring the car back to life. 

Ill take some more photos once I’ve cleaned and painted the Calipers and scrubbed the engine bay. 

6B011E6C-8CAA-4769-9479-B0A7AD2ADABB.jpeg

Willysmiles

Battery tray rubber sealed, heard this was a common rust area so took preventative measures. 

4094A346-BC95-4A1D-8644-BC35A3C992E1.jpeg

Jim1500

Battery tray looks really good, that must have been garaged or not in rain much, they normally rot from behind battery clamp so make sure its clear and not clogged up and the water can run behind. Mine was clean stinking!

Willysmiles

Cheers mate,  it was garaged it’s whole life before me that’s why the bodywork is so good.   Shame I haven’t got a garage really, all the work I’m doing is on my street 

Willysmiles

Bike carbs fitted, super revvvy but definitely needs a tune, lumpy to no idle.

CD45F1F7-0E97-4F80-911C-52156587A6AA.jpeg