Kiwiavenger

9n anti roll bar bush size

Kiwiavenger

Hi All

I'm he owner of a 2003 1.4 9n (75bhp version) 

I'm getting a load of knocking from the front end whenever i'm driving it and think it's the ARB bushes.

As its my daily i don't want to take the old ones off and measure them as i think it's likely to just disintegrate in my hands, and i have no way of accurately measuring the size of the ARB to buy the right size that way.

Is there a way i can check what size bushes i have? or will it be a case of buying a few different sizes and returning the ones that are the wrong size? 

Thanks for he advice 

Yeti

It could be anyone of a few sizes. The best thing to do is get a pair of measuring calipers around the bar.

There is a bit of a problem on the older cars, which have like a plastic "top hat" sleeve on the bar inside of the bushes. These fall apart and let the bar slide each way. Later cars have a metal collar on the inner side of the bushes instead of the plastic sleeves. This solves the problem.  You can bodge a couple of jubilee clips on the bar, but it's better to replace the bar for a later one (Febi still supply them). 

Also, unless they're fairly new. Change the drop links while you're there, they're that cheap, there's no point putting old ones back. 

Kiwiavenger
13 hours ago, Yeti said:

It could be anyone of a few sizes. The best thing to do is get a pair of measuring calipers around the bar.

There is a bit of a problem on the older cars, which have like a plastic "top hat" sleeve on the bar inside of the bushes. These fall apart and let the bar slide each way. Later cars have a metal collar on the inner side of the bushes instead of the plastic sleeves. This solves the problem.  You can bodge a couple of jubilee clips on the bar, but it's better to replace the bar for a later one (Febi still supply them). 

Also, unless they're fairly new. Change the drop links while you're there, they're that cheap, there's no point putting old ones back. 

Thanks for the response, I did the drop links last year for the MOT so they're good I think but were really cheap ones. 

I may just swap out the bar then, do the Febi ones come with the bushes as well??

Lots of niggly little things on the car (tailgate handle not working, heater having a mind of its own, random knocks and squeaks) but I work in a scrap yard so can replace the big bits with stuff from here lol

Yeti

It's worth checking if it's the earlier bar with the plastic sleeves. I'd imagine that's what it would have, but worth a quick look before you spend money just in case it's already been changed.

I don't think my bar came with the bushes, but it's about 4 years since I bought it. Rubber ones are pocket change and Poly ones aren't expensive. 

Edited by Yeti