Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Gt fuel pump and ignition cut out

My GT converted coupe cut out when I went over a small bump in the road. I thought it was just the fuel pump that had given up as it didn't come on when the ignition was on. I have since traced that back to the ignition live wire. Ie it works when I bridge the ignition live from the wiper motor. I have now discovered that there is no spark. Could the two issues be linked or is it just a coincidence (my luck with polo's 😂

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vwfan3

• steveo3002

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have update on my issues! The Ecu is dead. Looks like there was a problem with the earth on the ecu and it has burned out. I have a spare ecu, but this one comes with its own issues. When I plug in the spare and turn the ignition on, the fuel pump comes on but the ignition and injectors are firing constantly! Could the spare ecu be faulty aswel? Or should I be looking at something else? 

steveo3002

the inj always on is a common symptom of bad earth 

sounds like you need to be super sure the loom is fixed and safe before trying another ecu

Cheers mate, 

Should I be looking for the earth from the ecu? As that would explain why the first ecu has burned out.... 

steveo3002

engine to bodywork would be my first guess 

obviously needs a proper look over or its going to get expensive popping ecu's at £50 a time , so yeah get stuck in and inspect it all or pay someone that knows thier way around a vw

All earth's have been checked and are all in perfect order. I have had my mechanic have a look, and were no further forward. He reckons it must be the ecu sending out crazy signals. Could this be likely? Before I buy another one. (I have never ran this latest ecu but apparently it has a polo ace chip. 🤷‍♂️)