Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Kifayat

Hey Guys,

I have a problem with my first car, the 6N2 polo. I replaced my stock stereo with a cheap aftermarket one as I needed bluetooth and my fm transmitter went bust. All i got as an extra is an adaptor (iso to din).

Since installing the stereo, everytime I switch off the ignition It loses memory. I tried to swap the two chunky ports (brown and black) but I couldnt because of it just doesn't fit. What can I do to stop the memory loss? Should I take off the fuse (red) attached to it?

20200327_140031.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kifayat

• Yeti

• vwfan3

• Warwick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't ask me why, but VW's have the red and yellow wires for the feeds wired backwards. Most adapter looms have a pair of connectors in so you can switch them around without cutting wires.

Kifayat

Thank you very much! One last request, I'm gonna need help in distinguishing the yellow wire. Ive attached a picture of a diagram that explains the wiring but the diagram is just as confusing as the wires themselves.

Look at the top rectangle box within the diagram which has a label for each pin of the black iso connector.

The black Iso connector has 2 red wires. The Ground/earth label is a thick red wire.

The sun label (to the right of ground label) is a thin red wire.

The "S-Kont." label is a white wire.

The "Mute" label is a blue-white striped wire.

The "UB +" label is a thick brown wire.

The "+" label is a blue-white striped wire.

The "K-Bus" is a brown-red wire.

Finally, there is no pin and wire attached to the GA label on the actual connector.

Taking a guess, the thin red wire (sun label) is the live wire and should be swapped with whatever colour the yellow wire was supposed to be. So what colour is the second wire I am to swap with?

What is it with wierdly coloured wires and old VW's?  :|

20200331_170435.jpg

Edited by Kifayat
Kifayat

Omg, just realised something that makes this and life even harder. The Black Iso connector connects to the bottom iso port of my after market stereo. The bottom iso port does not connect to all the pins of the black iso connectorrrrr! 

Am I stressing for no reason or for good reason? 

Just to point out, the Ground/earth wire pin on the black iso (check previous post diagram) connects to the top right pin of the bottom iso port.

20200331_172801.jpg

Edited by Kifayat
vwfan3

have you decided to live with this memory loss?

If not, what is the model of the stereo you obtained?

• 1 month later...
Kifayat

Sorry for the late reply. Atm yes, I am living with memory loss 😂

Ive bought an aftermarket Amazon cheapy stereo. 

I know I am meant to swap thick red for the yellow wire. But which of my stereo wires is the same as the yellow one?

Warwick

Hi

The sticker on the second stereo picture lists UB+ and S-Kont.  UB+ is the constant supply, and S-Kont is the switched contact ie ignition live.
This is the opposite to what the first picture requires, ie +12V Constant Power Supply (yellow) is going to ignition switched, and +12V Accessory/Switch (Red) is going to the constant supply.

Hope this helps.

W