Mk4f 1.2 turbo charged

JJ58

I'm thinking of turbocharging my 1.2l mk4f polo and was wondering if anyone else has done this what kit they used and if they have any pointers. Would also like to know if I will have to upgrade anything else for it to work properly.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greigy45

• Pete1

• JJ58

• Yeti

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine it would be a lot less work and cheaper to find a Ibiza FR 1.8T and use that as a donor. They're a shared platform with a 9n/3 polo, so a lot of stuff will bolt straight up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2020 at 13:57, Yeti said:

I'd imagine it would be a lot less work and cheaper to find a Ibiza FR 1.8T and use that as a donor. They're a shared platform with a 9n/3 polo, so a lot of stuff will bolt straight up.

Thanks I'll look into it👍

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, Greigy45 said:

How did you get on with this? I am thinking of doing the same. 

The OP hasn't been online since Dec 2020 so I wouldn't hold your breath awaiting a reply 😞

Fair enough haha - any advice for upgrading the engine of my polo 9n3 1.2 or should I just buy a GTI. Was looking at the same model 09 and one is going for about 4K or just over with similar mileage 67k on clock. 

There was/is a guy from Scandinavia that wrote about having turbo'd a 1.2 HTP on Briskoda; but if you want any sort of reliability you'd be much better off leaving such an engine well alone, or buying a different car, in my opinion.  Is yours a 6-valve or 12-valve? How many miles on the clock?

Edited by Pete1
sp

Think it is a 6v actually surprising fun to drive but after something nippier. I have enjoyed fixing it lately and adding minor upgrades to interior. It only has 66k mileage. 

These are particularly prone to exhaust valve burnout problems, so make sure cooling system including rad fan is all in good order, and make sure engine oil level is always good, and kept clean with regular changes even if you have a low mileage usage pattern.  There's no more power to be had above about 4500 rpm, so revving higher than that will tend to do more harm than good.

Jesus you know your stuff - I am still learning. Got a Jack and some stands so gonna have a look. Might eventually bite the bullet and purchase a MK4 GTI or something similar like Leon/Ibiza/ or Golf. I could sell mine for at least 2k. Gonna need a quicker daily