Top Tips and Tools to replace a mk2f fuel tank ?

mk2 polo power

Hi everyone,

I've got to travel over a to a mk2f (1992) fuel injected polo (G40 actually) and remove the fuel tank. Oviously requires more thought in advance on potential tools needed.

Has anyone get any tips. I should be ok undoing the main strap.

Its the fuel pipes and how to undo them nicely/cleanly so they can be refitted is what I was worried about

So, yer, Any tips, or favourite tools to take would be much appreciated.

I have read other threads on CP

To answer my own Q, as I successfully removed it:

Once rear end of car is jacked up and put on axles stands.

Remove 5 (spring ring clip), then push down neck rubber surround a bit.

Nut 3a  = 17mm, undo with normal ratchet

Nut 3 = 13mm, dito

I undid both a bit at a time.

Clip 7 = jubilees, undo with screwdriver, (or one could use a 7mm socket) . The end near filler neck is a bit awkward to get too and covered in crud. Got someone to hold tank while I undid it through filler neck/wheel arch. Both ends of Clip 7 need undoing, other end is lift pump, under rear bench, under circle black lid (two screws, obvious to see)).

Clip 13 = jubilee clip - easy enough to see to undo

There are two other small jubilee clips on the lift pump next to clip 7 (under rear seat),

Release handbrake (make sure car is well 'chocked'), also helps if offside rear wheel is removed.

We then realised tank wouldn't come out without hitting exhaust.

Easy solution - to lower rear back box from hanger - easiest way is to undo bolts inside wheel well (2x13mm), otherwise one rubber is very difficult to remove. I removed exhaust rubbers - either side of back box. Lower back box onto a stack of wood blocks/jack.

That gives enough wiggle room to get tank out.

The hardest bit really, is to undo the fuel pipes, which may be covered in crud with difficult access. I found GT85 and a big screwdriver helpful.

Generally to have someone else is also useful, one person under car, the other near fuel neck connections.

Some threads say you have to undo rear axle, but I found that completely irrelevant in my case.

Hopefully it will go back in easier as it'll be the same tank going back in - just painted up. I know new tank filler necks can need bending to fit nicely.

Any top tips for fitting, much appreciated.

Edited by mk2 polo power

I've not come across bolts in wheel well connecting to exhaust hangar hooks...?

Check the state of metalwork that was hidden by tank neck for rust.

I found lifting the tank with a jack and big flat piece of wood helped me position it.

Protect the neck where it slides between bodywork and axle as that can scratch off the new paint at the worst place.

I used a Herbie clip to attach tube 6 to the neck, as access to a Jubilee is awkward, especially if you already put 4 on the neck.

Soften 4 in warm water.

That's a new one on me as well, it's probably someone's way of stopping the exhaust from rocking side to side, which is what wrecks the rubbers. I generally do a similar one by adding an extra hanger at the back of the passenger sill to pull the system that way. 

Hi All,

You see in attached photo the lift pump,

This was taken before I took tank out.

Q is, How do I know which of the pair of black fuel pipes goes to which connection on lift pump, as I forgot to label them. OR can they go either way round.

Plug is obvious , so is clear/yellowy pipe.

_20200501_220305.JPG

Edited by mk2 polo power

I assume on is feed and one is return...  did you leave the clips on? 

Yes I left clips on, in fact they cant be rotated around pipe so it looks like they refit with screw head on outside.

• Like 1