Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

I have a 2001 Polo GTI 6n2 with an issue with the cooling system, namely the car takes ages to get up to temperature, both the top and lower hoses from the radiator are at the same temperature, so I assume that the coolant is constantly flowing through the radiator and therefore only ever gets up to temperature when in traffic, at which point the temperature gauge rises and the fan will come on as expected

The car has had a new thermostat however from reading online it seems that the issue is with the thermostat housing, does this sound correct? 

I can get a new thermostat housing (which includes the thermostat and temp sensor) or would I be better off just getting a second hand one and buying a new seal?

Also I was going to have a go at replacing it myself, where can I find out what the correct torque figures are?

Many thanks in advance

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zoid

• nige8021

Top Posters In This Topic

nige8021

First Welcome to the forum.

It is very common that non OEM parts like the thermostat can fail even straight from fitting, another common problem is the thermostat needs to push against a bridging link in the removable part of the thermostat housing and these bridge links are known to fail after a while or the thermostat isn't correctly positioned inside the housing so the water can freely flow through so not getting up to temp.

As to replacement, what ever you do do not buy one from ECP/GSF only get a genuine one from the stealership/TPS but it won't be cheap

Thank you for the welcome and your reply, the thermostat was fitted by a trusted mechanic and should have been a genuine VAG part. You mention a bridging link, would you know if this is a part that can be purchased separately?

Also any idea on where I can find torque specs? 

nige8021

The bridging part is inside #12 http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/PO/year/2000/drive_standart/240/hg_ug/121/subcategory/121070/part_id/3706615/lang/e#sec_12 

The torque figures are 

Thermostat housing to engine block 10Nm

Outlet cover (#12 above) 10Nm  but these are self tapping screw/bolts and the normal thing that happens if the outlet cover has been removed a few times the plastic in the housing gets destroyed so you can't get them to properly tighten up, then you need to buy a new housing assembly 😞

Brilliant and thank you that is really useful information!

Am I right in thinking then that as the temperate is fine in traffic that it can only be a faulty thermostat or broken bridge inside the thermostat cover that is allowing the coolant to constantly flow through the radiator? In which case I just need to purchase a new thermostat cover (032121121J) and O ring (032121119H) and I should be good to go? Of course if the housing can't be tightened down properly then I'll a need complete housing (032121111BC), guess I won't know until I take it off and try and refit a new one?

Also where I am able to find torque specs etc  (as I'd to start learning and attempting more work on the car myself), are they available online, do I need specific software?

nige8021

If the temp is steady 90ish while in slow moving traffic, but it drops as soon as you can motor on, then that's a pretty good indication the the thermostat is open allowing the full flow of water, either by the themostat it self failing or the bridge piece has broken and stopping the thermostat from working correctly.

The cheapest way to find the torque figures is to buy a Haynes manual, you will often see them on eBay for £10 this will also give guides on how to do the various servicing jobs on the car