Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

MK2 1.0 polo won't start pierburg 1B

a27996

Hi everyone, first post so go easy on me lol.

Recently acquired a 1990 1.0 breadvan as a cheap runaround, been sorting through it's issues one at a time and have reached a sticking point.

So when I got it cold starts were a struggle and a high idle when warm, I started with the basic checks and found it had an air leak at the carb flange (flange itself looks fairly new and ok, but there's no paper gasket between the carb and flange - I'm assuming it should have one?)

So anyway, I literally took the air intake off, undid the 2 bolts holding the carb on and pulled it aside to have a look, put it back on and now the car will not start for love nor money... just cranks and will not hardly try to fire at all, if squirting brake cleaner will just revs it's nuts off on that and then cut out again.

Everything is back on the way it came off, so I'm pretty baffled as to what's happening - I did tilt the carb on its side when inspecting the flange - could this have upset it somehow? I'm really at a loss here...

Fuel is getting to the carb, although the accumalator and lines are just loosely stuffed in between the spark plug leads - if anyone has a picture of how this should actually look then that would be helpful, I don't think it's relevant to the fault as it ran before but it's an absolute bodge.

If anyone has had something similar happen or has any ideas that would be a massive help, many thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a27996

• bastibum

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

bastibum

Do you have an OEM-number of the flange? The flange itself is made out of rubber and also functions as a gasket between the carb and inlet manifold. So you don't need to buy/make any paper gasket. The hard cold starts and high idle seem to point to a leaking flange indeed. I had it for months on my '84 1.0 breadvan, cure was to get a new flange. You can probably get one aftermarket for little money. While the flange might look fairly new the rubber itself can be worn and soft. If the carb is easy to jiggle around while connected to the engine that's the rubber being too worn.  

I had the exact same situation: after refitting it wouldn't do anything anymore. Probably because the tiny bit of seal you had between the flange and inlet manifold+carb is now also gone after pulling them apart. On my inlet manifold you could clearly see rubber deposit from the flange.

a27996
58 minutes ago, bastibum said:

Do you have an OEM-number of the flange? The flange itself is made out of rubber and also functions as a gasket between the carb and inlet manifold. So you don't need to buy/make any paper gasket. The hard cold starts and high idle seem to point to a leaking flange indeed. I had it for months on my '84 1.0 breadvan, cure was to get a new flange. You can probably get one aftermarket for little money. While the flange might look fairly new the rubber itself can be worn and soft. If the carb is easy to jiggle around while connected to the engine that's the rubber being too worn.  

I had the exact same situation: after refitting it wouldn't do anything anymore. Probably because the tiny bit of seal you had between the flange and inlet manifold+carb is now also gone after pulling them apart. On my inlet manifold you could clearly see rubber deposit from the flange.

Hi thanks for your reply 🙂 I found the mistake was the throttle valve lever/pivot had flicked too far when removing the cable that the plunger had gone past, so the throttle valve was stuck wide open and not sending any fuel in... Silly annoying mistake but glad it didn't send me down a complete rabbit hole! I've given the fkange a good inspection and it really does look in good shape and holds the carb very solid doesn't wobble etc. The base of the carb was very dirty going to clean it uo properly tomorrow and give it a thin coating of RTV and see how I get on. If still leaking will go for a flange 👍