Mk2 Coupe S - G40 Engine Loom Conversion

UJA

I am currently in the process of fitting my G40 engine into my Mk2 Coupe S. I have got to the stage where I am about to fit the wiring loom and want some clarification on a couple of things.

I have seen that it is possible to splice the G40 engine loom into the original Coupe S loom (something I would like to do as the original loom is in better condition to the main G40 loom) I saw this and want to know whether it really is as simple as it sounds ------ https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mk1poloclub/mk1-g40-wiring-t1485.html

Would the loom then be powered by the original Coupe S loom and fusebox?

So, if I go ahead with what the guy has suggested, it leaves me with quite a bit of surplus Coupe S wiring, I suppose I just cut out?

That leaves the Fuel Pump wiring, which I don't have, so would need to make my own, is this simple? What would I need as in relays etc? How will I get the pump to prime on the ignition etc?

Sorry about the random questions, but wiring really isn't my thing lol, any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Gary.

what do you have already?

can leave the mk2 wipers and light wiring in the car , the stuff to make it run is almost standalone on its own loom with ecu and the sensors , fusebox is the same so leave the mk2 stuff in

id sugget you aquire the pump relay and wiring from a scrap car , need all the proper fuel inj lines too  

Thanks for the reply Steve, I have a full G40 loom including ECU, all bar the interior fuel pump part. I do have the fuel lines and pumps with the bracket and filter etc, it’s just the wiring I don’t have. 

I would like to just add in the G40 engine loom if possible. 

Edited by UJA

yeah ok...so best get the interior wiring for the pump from any mk2f...not too bad to make up if you had to 

and yeah the g40 engine should just go in on its own pretty much like it says in the link

• Thanks 1

Ok, I will press on a see how it goes. Thanks for clearing that up Steve. 

👍🏻

just ask if you get stuck , might be a couple of niggles , like i think the coil feed will need adding but not alot , maybe a rev counter feed 

Really appreciate the help Steve, will let you know if I run into any hiccups. Thanks again. 

Gary. 

Think my mate may have found the interior and fuel loom, looks like there’s the three pin plug for the top of the tank / lift pump and there’s two female spade terminals for the in line possibly. 

Thing is, he is over 100 miles away! Where I stripped my old G40 in High Wycombe! 

The things we do for these cars. 

dont buy the whole interior loom.....its just 3 wires from front to back for the pumps 

wouldnt be too hard to make , or any mk2f breaking will have it 

Oh no, it’s the loom from my old car, I left it in a box in a workshop I shared with a mate. He’s going to post it to me, result! 

Got the engine in today, will get cracking with the wiring and fuel pumps next. 

Ok, I've made a start on the wiring in the engine bay, I have the connector near the coil with three wires, Black, Green & Brown, three pin plug. I cant find anything that it plugs into? Any ideas?

From that link I copied in my earlier post it tells you to do this;

"The 3 pin plug with the brown, green and black wires(was near the coil on the Mk.3)
Black wire connects to the black wire that used to connect to the + terminal of the coil on the Mk.1
The green wire connects to the red/black wire that used to connect to the - terminal of the Mk.1 coil
The brown wire connects directly to the battery earth terminal and must not be earthed through the bodywork"

I have done this, but cant see where it is meant to go.....

on the orig car there would have been a plug on the light loom that connects to it...one of the slight mods needed if not using everything from the orig car

Ok, so what do I do now? I do have the other light loom, but would ideally just like to use the original wiring already in the car. 

Mk3 polo gt wiring plug - Engine, Transmission and Exhaust - Club Polo

connect it up as per your post....thats the chappy in the picture on that little bracket 

So just use the mk2f light loom so it has something to connect into?

you have the g40 connector for the coil yes?

brown,...put an eyelet on it and connect to the mounting bolt /any earth

black...join to black from orig car , test that its ign live 

red /black ...goes to rev counter 

2 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

you have the g40 connector for the coil yes?

brown,...put an eyelet on it and connect to the mounting bolt /any earth

black...join to black from orig car , test that its ign live 

red /black ...goes to rev counter 

Yeah, I’ve done that but to the male connector as per the photo in the link I added. The female connector for the coil hasn’t been modified at all and is plugged into the coil. Should I have chopped and joined the female plug not the male?

chop it where you like ...as long as that coil plug see's earth & ign live it will run

Ok, I will undo what I’ve done to the male connector and replicate it into the female connector which goes into the coil. Can’t seem to add photos on here, would make life so much easier to explain. Thanks for the info mate, sorry I ask silly questions, like I said I am a complete amateur when it comes to wiring. All the help is greatly appreciated. 

you can just drag or past photos here

yeah that plug is confusing ...i think its just so you can pull the looms seperatly 

• Thanks 1

Just looking at the coil plug wires now, looks like they’ve been badly cut and joined to something in

the past. The engine was in a Coupe S before, but it had a full G40 loom and clocks fitted. Struggling here!

yeah id guess last owner had the same struggle 

how nice do you want it , you can buy all the pins and coloured wire , make a nice repair of it?   funnily been working on the same section on my 3f today 

So can I just lop off all those brown wires and do the cut and joins like you suggested and be ok? What are those brown wires lol?

im not too fussed on how tidy it is right now, I would like to get it up and running and then worry about making it look nice.