Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

G40 Won't Start. Help pls

lectrotek

Hi all,

My G won't start at the moment. Any help would be amazing as it's due to go in for MOT in a couple of days!

Here's what I do know: Battery is fully charged and seems fine. when I turn the key, the dashboard lights come on, as does the radio. I can also turn the headlights on etc.

However, it won't start. I can't hear a solanoid click or starter motor etc.

I HAVE been able to bump start it no probs. 

Could it be that a fuse or a relay has gone? (my amateur diagnosis)

This is extra weird, as it's been running really nicely, no probs at all for the past few weeks. 

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tim

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lectrotek

• steveo3002

• Pete1

Top Posters In This Topic

steveo3002

near the inlet there should be a plug with a black red wire that goes to the starter ....see if that has 12v when the key is on crank , confirm theres 12v to the fat red on the starter at all times , check the earth cables are tight and sound

other than that it sounds like the starter ...you could bench test it with some jump leads 

does it have an imobilser ?   could be that too 

Edited by steveo3002
Pete1

Probably just corrosion of the contact surfaces on the above-mentioned starter solenoid connection. Unplug, clean a little, reconnect, normal service resumes.

lectrotek

Thanks guys. will check both these.

If anyone else has any more ideas I'd like to hear from you.

steveo3002

its got to be one of the above really....basicly its wires with a motor on the end 

either the wire isnt supplying power or the motor has stopped working , 10 mins to diagnose with a test lamp