Electronic ignition on HK engine

richvw

Hi, I have a heavily modified 130bhp HK engine that was built by Feld Motorsport in Germany, I ran it last year on the original points and distributor but it didnt run well so I’m in the process of converting to electronic ignition.

It now has a DTA Fast I/O ECU and I opted to go for a wasted spark coil pack, which deletes the dizzy so it looks neater and it runs a lot better. 

The concern I have is with removal of the dizzy; I have had a custom blank made which seals against the cylinder head however it seems the dizzy was holding the cam in place and stoping it from floating, now the dizzy is gone the cam can move around a bit and I’m worried it might throw the belt. For now we  have just bolted the dizzy back on ... wondered if anyone had done anything similar and what if anything you did to keep the cam firmly in place??? 

Thanks in advance for any pointers 

Rich

1C5B8611-5466-4B50-A689-0C88F2D6F094.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice.

Never though of that offset slot in the camshaft end being so important on a mechy head.

Not done it, but could you fit a bush at the crank pulley end that stops cam moving in direction of dizzy end?

Question for anyone with hydro head.

Does the pin type dizzy drive  in mk2f exert the same clamping force, or is it the cam bearings which prevent float?

plastic drive head on a hydro head , cant see it doing anything other than turning the dizzy

Edited by steveo3002

Thanks for the comments; You can see it here with the dizzy removed and the factory end plate in place, with out the distributor the cam has rubbed the backside of the end plate do it must be moving a bit... 

24519214-4F5A-442B-A75C-FAEB723FA62F.jpeg

Ouch.

Ask Feld? It is their camshaft from the FM316 scribing (or their regrind of stock / someone else's).

Mm 316 - that'll rev well. Max torque at around 7500rpm?

Yeah I might try him again see if I can explain the issue... the dude is a genius but hard to communicate with as I don’t speak German and his English (although better than my German) isn’t great . He dyno’d it with a DTA fast I/O set up but using a distributor setup 

yeh the cam is 316deg, the full spec is below, it’s a bit naughty:

Cylinder Head:

Inlet & outlet ports milled and polished,big valve seats,big valves (I=38 / E=32),new special bronze valve guides,chambers milled & polished,Racing double Valve springs,Steel Camshaft 316°,Alloy Valve Cover,Volkswagen Motorsport inlet manifold,Weber 45 DCOE Carbs.

Block:

Cylinder new bore and honed 75,5,forged pistons,H-beam steel conrods,crank balanced,new crank and rod bearings,new oilpump,new waterpump,new special timing belt,new oilpan,all wearing parts renewed.

image.thumb.jpeg.3c5df775afb15f82f764bdad7ca80116.jpeg

What change was made for the 'special timing belt'? Could it be a vernier pulley coming apart or the timing pulley bolt into camshaft slightly loose and sliding on the woodruff key at the other end ?

What alternative  you using for timing signal to DTA ECU ?

Trigger wheel on crank pulley not exactly centered might affect balance - guess.

You could fit a Hall sender distributor with slot drive but not connect dizzy cap, king lead  and ignition leads?

Leads come from wasted spark coil. Maybe cap the dizzy off with some turned aluminium.

The cam Hall sender was good enough timing accuracy for Saab 900 Turbo and GK Dignition ECU timing (16x16 MAP sensor 3D interpolated map).

But neither rev as high as yours could on 45s. GK has 6800 limiter.

The Elabarazione Facetti Alfa GTA 1300 short stroke did 9300rpm using 40 chokes with DHLA 45s.

Depends where you are heading with the engine; DTA Fast i/o sounds like serious racing/hillclimb intentions.

I'm using a JP group dizzy for Seat and other with Aldon Amethyst.

I think this one has Hall sender

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Distributor-SEAT-VW-051905205B/233521870918

I don't know whether the slight belt stretch and cam lag at each stroke would have a noticeable effect at 8000+.

Probably the valve spring resistance dampens any belt induced oscillation.

Thanks for the ideas, really useful, much appreciated. I've emailed Feld again to try and get his thoughts, also I was just talking to my pal Jay from Unit 21 who is doing the install and the pulleys and crank sensor etc are all spot on, its done less than 1k miles since it was built.

I think your suggestion of refitting the dizzy and blanking the cap is probably the way I'll have to go, problem is it sticks out quite a bit and spoils the look a bit, i'll check out the seat unit.

As for my plans with the car / engine, i have no plans to race really, its just one of those projects that's got a bit our of hand!! 

• Like 1

What is that black thing on the distributor cap metal interference shield with a wire coming out?

I think from memory there was two devices attached to the dizzy, one was a voltage regulator and the other is a damper to prevent interference with the radio! The black widget is the regulator I believe 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yes, that custom front engine mount is intriguing.

Didn't notice the tidy alternator last time I looked.