Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

6N Front Control Arm - Rear Bushing Change

JBrown

Hi All,

Apologies if there is already a topic for this, but I couldn't find one anywhere, so figured that I'd make one.

I need to replace the rear bushings for the lower control arm on my 1998 6N Polo. I have managed to get the bushings from my local VW dealer. I was wondering if anyone had done this before and knows how to do it easily, or has any tips for the process?

I would be very thankful of help that anyone can give.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

P.S. Please find attached a photo of the bushing that I am talking about.

thumb.jpeg

Edited by JBrown
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBrown

• Yeti

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeti

You really need a hydraulic press to do those ones. Slight chance of doing them with a big vice, but it's not really worth the hassle. 6n wishbones aren't particularly expensive to buy new, ready built up with all the bushes in. 

• 3 weeks later...
JBrown

Just in case anyone looks to this in the future for advice.

I took the lower control arm off the car and drilled some holes out of the rubber part of the suspension mount, before using a jigsaw to cut out the central part of the mount. I then cut through the metal casing of the mount with a Dremel cutting disc, although a hacksaw could be used.

At this point I had a lower control arm with no rear mount. The first rear bushing went in after several hours of fighting. For the second control arm I took the control arm and the mount to a local independent garage, who kindly pressed the bushing in for £15 - This is definitely the way I would do it if I ever had to do it again.