Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Jim1500

Checking through my bready electrics all fine and working but no dashlights or radio.  Radio could be a pulled wire when centre console came out/went in. 

Any ideas about dash lights? The clock is still working.

It's been a while since I've worked at the polo lol. Fuses in perspex box on bulkhead?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim1500

• nige8021

• dvderlm

• caretakerplus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

caretakerplus

When you say 'Dash lights', I take it that you are talking about the instrument illumination lights?

If so, there is a chance that the dimmer switch is turned right down and, even though the lights might be working, they are not bright enough to see (especially in daylight)

Those fuses quite often give problems, due to poor connections between the fuse and the fuse holder - It pays to clean the fuses and the holders from time-to-time -  A green pan scourer does a good job.

Regards

Jim1500

Cheers, when I get a chance this week to get out at it that's what I plan to do.

Actually mean the little coloured warning lights for battery, oil, full beam, etc aren't working at all.

dvderlm

Could be the supply or earth contacts at multiway connector, or the 3-pin voltage regulator on the flexible PCB.

Jim1500

Do you know how to disconnect the speedo cable to get clocks out? Going to maybe start with the connector at rear of clocks and try clean the contacts. I remember trying to remove the clocks years ago and struggling with the cable.

Where's the voltage regulator?

Cheers for help!

• 2 months later...
Jim1500

Ok update. Clocks were very manky when got them out. Left them with an autospark who replaced a resistor and did a few other bits and bobs. Plugged in and still not working. He took them back and tested and they seem to be working fine.

The display light and the large clock are both working, the warning lights fuel and temp gauges aren't. Mate checked with a multimeter and they seem to be getting power ok. Is there a seperate earth for these? I would have assumed that as they're all on the same plug would have same earth, but someone else would maybe know?

It's all ready for mot and this is last job needing done.

nige8021

If you short the temp sensor wire to ground or the fuel level signal wire to ground the gauge should go to "full hot" or Full fuel" that will prove the internal gauge and the wiring from the temp sensor/fuel sender

Jim1500

Cheers, same with warning lights? Haven't got them back again yet, optomist in me hopes the just start to work lol

Jim1500

Spark checked them and sent me a pic with lights on. Got them back, plugged in today, lights on, fuel gauge moving, so connected up speedo cable and put in place, checked and they weren't working again and haven't since.

Really p'd off now as everything else is done!

Any ideas what to check??? 

• 4 weeks later...

Would anyone have wiring diagram showing what each of the wires on the multiplug is for? Haynes doesn't have it. Mechanic mate was looking at it for me today and found one of them was very low voltage (5 maybe) that he found unusual but wasn't sure if that was correct or an issue???

I've spent a fortune on the wee car and this is keeping me from MOt. really want it sorted

nige8021

I've got the Autodata diagrams for a 1990, they are PITA to use, but it shows two versions of the speedo multi plug a 12 pin or a 25 pin ? if you let me know I'll work through the diagrams and try and give you a pin allocation 

Fantastic really appreciate that, big help cheers😀

Checked with mate he'd counted 13 pins and 1 blank, I haven't got out to it to check yet this morning. Would 5v on one of the pins be normal? He said on a modern car maybe.

nige8021

So it looks like it's the first picture.

T = +12v Ignition supply (red wire)

2 = Ground (brown wire)

3* = Fuel Sender signal (Violet/Black wire)

4 = Coolant Temp signal ( Blue/Yellow wire)

5 = Tacho signal (red/black wire) possibly 5v with engine not running or a pulsed 5v running

6 = No Connection

7 = Hi Beam (Brown/Black wire )

8 = Low brake fluid/Handbrake (Brown/Yellow wire)

9 = Low Oil Press Switch (Yellow wire)

10 = No Connection

11 = Low Oil Press Switch (Blue/Black wire)

12 = Alt Warning (Blue wire) 12v with engine running, ground not running

3* = Indicators (Blue/Red wire) 

Seems to be two pin 3's ? 

Brilliant dude! 

There's a tach mentioned that mine doesn't have, would the plug still be wired for this so that a set with rev counter could just be plugged in?

nige8021
43 minutes ago, Jim1500 said:

Brilliant dude! 

There's a tach mentioned that mine doesn't have, would the plug still be wired for this so that a set with rev counter could just be plugged in?

Normally the wire (Red/Black) for the tacho is in all the looms so you just need to swap the speedo if you wanted a tacho, 

Great cheers, huge help! I'm trying to borrow a set of clocks to try. Mine were repaired and test but aren't working now.

nige8021

One thing I did notice, the first diagram it doesn't have any backlighting shown, but they are in the second diagram (E11) ??

• 3 weeks later...