Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

93 M2f 1.0 starting issues -newbie needs help.

Boulevard93

Hi guys,

I got my lovely 93 Coupe a year ago, it ran great until May, it's my daily driver and have done over 4k in it but now it's being a bit of a diva and I can't figure out what's wrong.

The main issue is that it won't always fire (it's turning over), it's intermittent, it'll be fine for days then play up, then if I leave it for 30mins it might start (or not).

I replaced the dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs, ht leads, none of which sorted it so it's had a new coil, which seemed to fix it, but after three days I was leaving work and at the first point the revs dropped (was stopped at a junction) the engine died. I got it started again, but I'm pretty certain the lights flickered (was on a late shift and knackered), and it over revved briefly. About a minute later I had a loss of power but managed to keep it running and the rest of the way home it was okay.

My mate checked it and when it doesn't want to start I'm not getting a spark.

Does anyone know what it might be and how to fix it?

Cheers,

Heather.

20190802_010051.png

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steveo3002

• caretakerplus

• Boulevard93

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

steveo3002

hall sender or coil if theres no spark

hows the wiring look to those ?

steveo3002

if you replace the dizzy make sure to match the part number , id prefer a used genuine than the ebay fits all type

caretakerplus

It sounds very much to me like the Hall sender as Steveo says. It is quite possible to fit a new one to your existing distributor, BUT it is a fiddly job, and if you are not used to that sort of task, you would probably be better off with a new distributor.

As said above, I too would recommend a genuine VW one rather than a 'will fit'.

Regards