Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Hey everyone!

I am planning on importing a Polo Harlekin sometime late next year to the USA.

Anyone willing to help school me in engine swaps into a Polo?

Im planning on using my 12v vr6 from my mk4 wagon and the 5 speed trans. Is there a company who makes custom engine and transmission mounts? What about which axles will match up for proper size? 

Im using my friends over at www.openairimports.com to facilitate the importation. 

Since we dont have Polo here, i dont know much about them. The only person i know who has a Polo in the USA is Jamie Orr, but his is a 1.8t.

Thanks for letting me join and for any help you can provide.

Here are some photos of my mk3 harlequin 

IMG_20200720_231937_544.jpg

IMG_20200720_231937_545.jpg

IMG_20200714_033335_694.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kuma

• Vedran

• nige8021

• Dean

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vedran

Hi,

I am glad that someone from USA will import polo.
Polo is a smaller car than golf and passat and I am not sure that it would be physically possible to fit VR6 and transmission in it... Even if it would there is a lot more than custom engine mounts, there are custom hoses, custom wiring, custom ECU, bigger radiator. I am afraid you will blow 10K $ in a second and car will not run properly.

Which engine exactly this Polo Harlekin have?

I think it would be better that you fit in a more powerful engine for polo 6n1... maybe polo gti engine.

Br,
Vedran

Edited by Vedran
On 29/07/2020 at 22:50, Vedran said:

Hi,

I am glad that someone from USA will import polo.
Polo is a smaller car than golf and passat and I am not sure that it would be physically possible to fit VR6 and transmission in it... Even if it would there is a lot more than custom engine mounts, there are custom hoses, custom wiring, custom ECU, bigger radiator. I am afraid you will blow 10K $ in a second and car will not run properly.

Which engine exactly this Polo Harlekin have?

I think it would be better that you fit in a more powerful engine for polo 6n1... maybe polo gti engine.

Br,
Vedran

I have a few cars, so not worried too much about having a car down. However i have a vr6 on hand, and dont have access to polo type engines here in the USA. Im okay with custom hoses and such, car will be my project so i dont have to rush on getting it running. It will probably cost me about 10k to import the car after fees and registration here. I think the harlekin came with a 1.4l

Dean
On 27/07/2020 at 23:07, kuma said:

Hey everyone!

I am planning on importing a Polo Harlekin sometime late next year to the USA.

Anyone willing to help school me in engine swaps into a Polo?

Im planning on using my 12v vr6 from my mk4 wagon and the 5 speed trans. Is there a company who makes custom engine and transmission mounts? What about which axles will match up for proper size? 

Im using my friends over at www.openairimports.com to facilitate the importation. 

Since we dont have Polo here, i dont know much about them. The only person i know who has a Polo in the USA is Jamie Orr, but his is a 1.8t.

Thanks for letting me join and for any help you can provide.

Here are some photos of my mk3 harlequin 

IMG_20200720_231937_544.jpg

IMG_20200720_231937_545.jpg

IMG_20200714_033335_694.jpg

Hi @kuma, glad you made it over after I posted the link on FB,

As I said before, there is a wealth of information on here, in order to help you further it maybe wise to use this search query in Google.

In the box type: site:www.clubpolo.co.uk Polo engine conversion or site:www.clubpolo.co.uk Polo engine vr6 - Obviously you can change the text to whatever you wish to search for, but this will onyl show results of our community.

Best of luck with the import.