Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Mk2 Heater Blower not working

Jim1500

The blower isn't working at all in my bready and the knob moves up and down very loosely. Previously it only worked on position 3. Assuming the resistor is the issue does anyone know is this the correct part?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-Polo-Mk2-1-0-Petrol-Heater-Blower-Fan-Resistor-2/174017466313?hash=item28843fcfc9:g:0d8AAOSwWm5dbZoA

How easy is it to fit? Rain cover off, couple of screws and a plug??

Cheers 🙂

EDIT# saw this one on heritage site looks totally different and 4x price

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/867959131-heater-blower-resistor.html

or non genuine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regulator-VEMO-Fits-VW-Multivan-T5-Polo-Classic-T4-867959131/163249634344?hash=item26026fbc28:g:-mUAAOSwd0pd37ma

Edited by Jim1500
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim1500

• dvderlm

• steveo3002

dvderlm

You want the  3-pronged oblong wire wound on ceramic resistor for Mk2.

I think you could wire in a modern flat 4 pin green one not using one of the tap points.

Full speed is straight 12volts. The other connections are taps for lower speed with simple potential divider circuit, as far as I can tell. So long as the low speed is not too little voltage to set motor moving it should be possible. If you do, make sure it is firmly mounted so it can't come loose and short circuit.

I've got a PulseWidth controller stashed in a box somewhere that I've been intending to fit to allow any speed and off with the right kind of on/off volume control switch.

Edited by dvderlm
steveo3002

guy on facebook refurbishes them for not to much ££...have a look on the polo groups for victor marshall , might be on here too

Jim1500

Cheers, that one is £20 posted so not too bad, I don't get much time to work at it so prefer to have the part there to replace at the time. Mightn't do any harm to refurb the old one though and keep as a spare!

• 1 month later...

Haven't gotten round to this yet as a few other issues popped up that needed sorting for mot first!

Does it sound like the resistor is at fault if it's not working at all, and how is it changed?

Autospark has my clocks at the mo and once I get them sorted it'll be going to mot. Had hoped to have it through last month, but really could do with a blower as we get into colder weather.

Cheers 🙂

No it should work on top speed when resistor pack blown.

Switch, wiring, electric motor or fuse 14. Rear wiper is same fuse.

Edited by dvderlm
5 hours ago, dvderlm said:

No it should work on top speed when resistor pack blown.

Switch, wiring, electric motor or fuse 14. Rear wiper is same fuse.

Cheers, wiper is working and i'd cleaned the fuse holder and checked fuses.

Where/how best to check the switch?

I could put up with it just blowing at 3 as was like that for years lol

Cheers 😀

You can unscrew the  panel with heater sliders (put to middle pull off hot cold and low high, pull off the speed knob) by two small Phillips screws vertically in that piece. If you have a cig lighter disconnect battery earth before this (I don't).

There's a backlight bulb that I  suggest taping in place so you don't have to searching for it when refitting or busting the bulb..

Then you get access to back of switch -unplug the 4? way connector - and you can use a multimeter on ohms (or conductivity tester) to check that speed 3 terminal connects to another terminal on the switch (possibly larger blade).

Then repeat for speed 2 and 1 anti clockwise. 

And reconnect batt earth and check for 12v at off and at speed 3 terminal.

You could lookup the wiring colours in Haynes (not near mine).

You could remove the resistor pack and feed 12v and earth to the blower motor and see if it moves.

Edited by dvderlm