Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Emissions Fail 6N1 (MK4)

Monksgerry

Hi . 

My 1997 mk 4 1.4 saloon failed the not Mot on exhaust imusions . Mechanic says there's an internal oil leak . There no heavy smoke the car is running perfect .

So can anyone advise me what to do . ie. get an engine rebuild and try fix the issue or get a replacement engine . I love the car and would hate to part with it .

Thanks Gerry..

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Monksgerry

• steveo3002

• caretakerplus

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

internal oil leak isnt much of a diagnosis , id suggest asking them for more details or a second opinion   whats the milage?  has it been serviced regular ?  does it use oil?

right , if its been serviced on time , around that milage it could be worn valve guide seals or a blocked crank breather , shouldnt need a rebuilt at the milage unless its been abused

Welcome to the forum.   My first thoughts too were that you may be passing oil down the valve stems.   It might pay to carry out a compression test and/or cylinder leakage test to

Posted Images

steveo3002

internal oil leak isnt much of a diagnosis , id suggest asking them for more details or a second opinion

whats the milage?  has it been serviced regular ?  does it use oil?

• Like 1
Monksgerry

Milage 1800,00kl yes using oil but no sign of it in exhaust. except it was high in emissions on not.. 

Second option .. that's good advice thanks ..👍👍👍

steveo3002

right , if its been serviced on time , around that milage it could be worn valve guide seals or a blocked crank breather , shouldnt need a rebuilt at the milage unless its been abused

• Like 1
caretakerplus

Welcome to the forum.

My first thoughts too were that you may be passing oil down the valve stems.

It might pay to carry out a compression test and/or cylinder leakage test to eliminate other possible causes.

One good indication of oil passing the valve stems, is that when you pull away after idling for a few minutes (as at traffic lights) there is a trace of BLUE smoke in the exhaust, also accelerating after coasting down hill with your foot off of the accelerator pedal can produce similar results.

If you do suspect valve guide seals, it would pay to check the guides themselves for fear, rather than just replace the seals, which, if the guides ARE worn and only new seals are fitted, may quickly start to give problems in the future.

Regards

• Like 1
Monksgerry

Thanks guys I'll get the valves guide  seals and  crank case breather checked ..  👍

Screenshot_20200808-235320.jpg