Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

MK2 crank breather pipe and carb flange

Jim1500

Having some fun getting my Mk2 ready for mot after years off the road.

The breather hose from back of airbox to crank has deteriorated and needs replacing. Does anywhere still do them?

Carb flange is split, I should have another in the garage, but I'm not sure how good it is, if I need one where would I get one.

Cheers in advance 🙂 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim1500

• dvderlm

• Pete1

dvderlm

For the breather  hose I bought a metre of wire reinforced PVC 19mm internal diameter.

Try AVS carparts? vwspares.co.uk

Or German eBay sellers for the carb flange?

Febi or Berth spa, maybe Topran brand.

Jim1500

Cheers, GSF list the breather, but appears to be out of stock. Am I right in assuming that it's just a straight piece of pipe with no junctions? Have seen couple on ebay that have a smaller hose, maybe for a Mk2f?

How is the quality of the new carb flanges? I'll have to dig out the spare I have, hoping it's still ok.

Thanks again.

dvderlm

Think it was GSF that was supplying ones where the captive nuts came out.

Should be fine with genuine item from those brands I mentioned.

If your spare is new unused old stock and not eaten by rodents in a hot shed it should be fine.

Jim1500

Does this seem to be the correct hose?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hose-crankcase-breather-052103493G-For-VW-Golf-I-17-1-1-II-19E-1G1-1-3-Jetta-M/174383622742?epid=249012930&hash=item289a12ea56:g:ebAAAOSwuNVfLVEI

Carb flange is an old one I took off the car in 2009 and it's been sat in the garage, best to get a new one you reckon?

I see VWheritage have them any idea what the quality is like? Just thinking of time as the Topran ones from germany are giving delivery 7th-17th September. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK2-GOLF-Carb-flange-Mk2-Golf-Jetta-1-05-HZ-Engine-030129765C/362692578365?hash=item5472298c3d:g:2zoAAOSwR7tdHMvx

Just checked the heritage site, they list it as Topran. Quality should be good then, ie won't split within a week as I've heard of others doing??

To suit:  1.05 HZ Engine from engine number M HZ 004 801>>

My engine number  is  000 5** so will this not suit?

Cheers for all the help and sorry for the pile of questions!!

Edited by Jim1500
dvderlm

That hose looks right with a single bend. 

You could check part number on 7zap perhaps. 052 is Polo.

If the old flange came off your car,was working and looks smooth not cracked I'd have a go with it. Might find it works with just a thin smear of blue hylomar.

dvderlm

To suit:  1.05 HZ Engine from engine number M HZ 004 801>>

Should do fine. I assume >> means 'and higher'. Ask Heritage?

Jim1500

I'd have thought they would have all been the same but you never know, I'll try and contact them again, wouldn't let me do through ebay.

Cheers again dude :)

Jim1500

Rang them and they said that's the only one listed for my car, the over engine number bit must be an error, so have ordered it just incase the old one I have isn't good.

Edited by Jim1500
12 minutes ago, Jim1500 said:

the over engine number bit must be an error

Not following. The listing says "1.05 HZ Engine from engine number M HZ 004 801>>"

which means from engine number 004801 onwards, which you say yours is. So where's the error?

Ah, sorry, got it now, I think, I misread what you wrote about your engine number as 005 NNN. I'll butt out now!

Edited by Pete1
Jim1500

Got new flange from heritage in post there, hopefully get into garage tomorrow hunt out the other one to compare and get it swapped over.

It's been 10yr since I've done one, can it be swapped without disconnecting the fuel lines etc from carb?

Edited by Jim1500
dvderlm

Probably. but if you have to invert the carb fuel will spill out anyway.

From memory...

Pierburg 2e3 has 3 nuts to gasket and it has 4 long nuts through the manifold.

Weber DMTL or DMTR has 4 nuts to adaptor, and adaptor has three nuts to gasket

I'd disconnect battery earth because starter motor terminal is near the four nuts around the hedgehog heater underneath inlet manifold.

dvderlm

Ah scratch that. HZ has two nuts on Pierburg 1b3  or Weber TLA with 2 nuts to gasket. Gasket has 4 long bolts through manifold