Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Ignition distributor problem on VW Polo Classic 1987 86C, 80 1.0

chatlourd
4 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

thats early vs later cap ...any mechanic should spot this 

ok but are they compatible? 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chatlourd

• steveo3002

• dvderlm

• nige8021

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thats a distributor , and yes its not the same    find a used one with a matching part number for £50-60 on ebay , or im guessing the hall sender has failed these can be replaced seperatly

I should add that this is part number 030 905 205 B and a new one is around £500 https://www.tav-autoverwertung.de/shop/Distributor-Bosch-0-237-021-041-030-905-205-B-VW-Golf-Jetta-Polo-10L-HZ-AAK

Thanks, I ordered one on ebay.de. I'll fix the one I have with in my own time and put it up for sale on ebay if it works or if anyone here needs one they can message me.   I managed to get t

Posted Images

steveo3002

ive never tried it...if it fits nicely on the distributor i guess so , would need to use later m4 style leads 

steveo3002

well it wont help as the plig leads will not be making contact to the cap

chatlourd
5 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

well it wont help as the plig leads will not be making contact to the cap

We were using the old distributor cap with the old leads on the new rotor with the new distributor so contact was ok.

steveo3002

all you have is - distributor sends signal to tci , tci triggers the coil , coil sends spark to cap and sent down the correct lead to make the plug spark

kinda makes me think coil if the wires and plugs are servicable

chatlourd
1 hour ago, steveo3002 said:

all you have is - distributor sends signal to tci , tci triggers the coil , coil sends spark to cap and sent down the correct lead to make the plug spark

kinda makes me think coil if the wires and plugs are servicable

Thanks I've ordered new plugs and wires so we'll see what happens next and take it from there.

steveo3002

id also check the coil lead...as it looks like it has had the wrong cap and leads fitted , does the coil wire match up the coil fitting ? and same where it enters the cap 

chatlourd
On 21/10/2020 at 13:33, steveo3002 said:

id also check the coil lead...as it looks like it has had the wrong cap and leads fitted , does the coil wire match up the coil fitting ? and same where it enters the cap 

It suddenly dawned on me that it might not be starting because the carb is dry as it hasn't run for a couple of month so I went to the garage today, took the air cleaner off and put some petrol in the carb and presto it started right up... ! All the mechanics rushed over to ask me what I had done to get it going as they had been scratching their heads for weeks... I guess that's the problem when you work on fuel injection all the time... you forget the basics....

• Like 1
dvderlm

Good news.   

old fuel in tank?

Turning engine over should operate fuel pump to fill carb well in about 15 seconds.

Then autochoke flap closed should ensure a very rich mixture of fuel and air is sucked through idle jet.

Small squeeze of gas pedal will operate accelerator pump jet to help liquid fuel in spray form reach intake plenum. 

But old fuel will have lost some of the lighter more volatile compounds.

Ethanol fuel E5 will absorb moisture from air in the well or tank with old open breather trap. I'd suggest FuelFit or Startron if you are laying up a car for a long time with fuel in.

There might be some Ethanol induced white/gold crustiness in the carb itself.

Hopefully getting it to start will suck it out, or you might be looking at dismantle, ultrasonic clean, new carb gaskets and diaphragm repair kit. 

• Like 1
chatlourd

Thanks for the advice there. I can't remember about the fuel if I filled it up when I took it out of "storage" or not but I didn't think of that and that's the first thing I should have done so thanks for reminding me. A carb rebuild might be worth looking into since it's hasn't been done since new! I'll look into that once the brake pads on the rear brakes are changed so it can pass MOT!

dvderlm

brake shoes inside drums on the back.

Unless you have a rear disc brake conversion.

Good luckwith MOT

Edited by dvderlm
chatlourd
2 hours ago, dvderlm said:

brake shoes inside drums on the back.

Unless you have a rear disc brake conversion.

Good luckwith MOT

Sorry that't what I meant. Couldn't remember the exact word for them! Thanks!