Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

1978 Derby GLS Garage Find

stickman

Hello Peeps,

I have been hiding around this forum for some years now!¬† Not very active i am afraid ūüė쬆 ¬†I have had a number of Mk2 Polos, a red Coupe S, a white Classic and a 18K miles Breadvan the latter of which is still owned by a family friend and only used in fine weather!!

However, a friend recently offered me first viewing on his grans old car.  A one owner from new 1978 Derby GLS!  It was too good an offer to turn down as these are hard to come by!  However, I am now in unknown territory so may need some help along the way during the recommissioning!  I am looking to keep as standard and as original as possible but just tidy up around the edges.  Some welding to the off side cill and a flaky rear wing edge hopefully are the worst of the body issues.  But I do have some questions and no doubt more will crop up along the way!  Any help advice is welcomed!!

Initial queries are:

- Where do i find an exhaust system or does this have to be made specially if repairs cannot be done locally.

- I want to put a cam belt and water pump on and have found this - is this correct and the best place to buy this from?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-GATES-TIMING-BELT-KIT-VW-DERBY-0-9-1-0-1-1-1-3-77-84/373130270404?fits=Car+Make%3AVW|Model%3ADerby|Cars+Type%3A1.3|Plat_Gen%3A86|Cars+Year%3A1978|BodyStyle%3ASaloon|Variant%3A86+[1977-1981]+Saloon|Engine%3A1272ccm+60HP+44KW+(Petrol)&hash=item56e04c16c4:g:DeoAAOSw-OpfIQ-y

The car needs what I think will be a few hard parts

- Near side rear wing plastic spat / trim - the one on the car is cracked and I suspect this has caused the crispy wing edge

- End caps to the side trims - around 2 are missing from the trims

- Clips for the trims on the side of the car - one is missing 

- Chrome trims on the wing front edges around the lights.  I know these are hard to come by.  I was contemplating 3D printing some solid plastic ones and sticking on with glue if a pattern could be found.  I know plastic can be chromed so this may be an option if I am struggling.

All in all I can't wait to pick him up and get started ūüôā¬† Hope you like the pictures!¬†

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stickman

• setch

• foreststu

• dvderlm

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow - what a find! As a fan of MK1s & owner of a facelift MK1 Derby GLS - to find a chrome bumper car in this sort of condition (& in these circumstances) really is the stuff of dreams! The VW

Looks great, keep sharing progress photos - it'll be getting cold and dark soon!

Blow compressed air down the fuel lines (feed and return) to send any rusty sludge towards those magnets.    You might need to clean carb of ethanol induced crusting in the float bowl.

Posted Images

Nice find! cracking looking car. I have some NOS spats but they are all the same side. I will have to dig them out and have a look. I have also been playing about with aluminium casting. If you can make a 3d print of the grill trim i could cast some up

Hi Setch - thanks for looking on the spats.  If you have a near side one this would be ace!  I must admit I am very lucky to have been offered first look at the Derby.  A couple of bits to weld but nothing looks too serious.  Booked in for a Cambelt, water pump and full service in a couple of weeks.  If I find a front trim and get a print done I will let you know.  I am sure it would be worth making a few sets up!

foreststu

Awesome! Glad you ended up getting it. Looking forwards to seeing your progress.

In terms of the questions:

- Exhaust centre should be able to sort you out with a new downpipe and silencer for the 1.3 as they were used for a long while. You can also get NOS ones from eBay.de.

- Gates kit looks right, the engine parts are the same for years and years so even GSF etc. stock most things.

- Plastic Spat, sounds like Setch will be able to sort it.

- End caps to the side trims may be tricky to find without buying whole trims which are available regularly on eBay.de

- Clips for the side of the car and the upper/lower grill trims are in two sizes, smaller white one and larger red ones. Both are the same as Mk1 Golf so can be bought from https://www.classic-vw.co.uk for a few pence each.

- Someone has 3D printed the headlight trims before but I don't know what came of it. These are generally finable it's just that people ask a lot for them considering they are small C-shaped bits of plastic. When I was looking 3 different people I'd found in Germany via Facebook groups (they are mostly on a Facebook group called 'Audi 50-Polo 1 Teilemarkt') gave me a price of 150 euros for each side! That said I've seen them sold in minutes for £15 each via Facebook or mostly on eBay in the £75-100 each side region. Another good place to look for these trims is a German classifieds site also owned by eBay but separate from the usual auction site: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de. Just had a look and there is one on there now for 70 euros but you'll have to message asking if they'll add UK postage as not everyone on there is happy to post outside Germany:  https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/polo-audi-50-derby-zierleiste-kotfluegel-links/1490540963-223-1450 .

On 10/09/2020 at 11:49, foreststu said:

Awesome! Glad you ended up getting it. Looking forwards to seeing your progress.

In terms of the questions:

- Exhaust centre should be able to sort you out with a new downpipe and silencer for the 1.3 as they were used for a long while. You can also get NOS ones from eBay.de.

- Gates kit looks right, the engine parts are the same for years and years so even GSF etc. stock most things.

- Plastic Spat, sounds like Setch will be able to sort it.

- End caps to the side trims may be tricky to find without buying whole trims which are available regularly on eBay.de

- Clips for the side of the car and the upper/lower grill trims are in two sizes, smaller white one and larger red ones. Both are the same as Mk1 Golf so can be bought from https://www.classic-vw.co.uk for a few pence each.

- Someone has 3D printed the headlight trims before but I don't know what came of it. These are generally finable it's just that people ask a lot for them considering they are small C-shaped bits of plastic. When I was looking 3 different people I'd found in Germany via Facebook groups (they are mostly on a Facebook group called 'Audi 50-Polo 1 Teilemarkt') gave me a price of 150 euros for each side! That said I've seen them sold in minutes for £15 each via Facebook or mostly on eBay in the £75-100 each side region. Another good place to look for these trims is a German classifieds site also owned by eBay but separate from the usual auction site: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de. Just had a look and there is one on there now for 70 euros but you'll have to message asking if they'll add UK postage as not everyone on there is happy to post outside Germany:  https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/polo-audi-50-derby-zierleiste-kotfluegel-links/1490540963-223-1450 .

Hi foreststu,

Wow thanks for info.¬† I can't wait to collect the new car - transporter is booked for Sunday 20th - straight to the garage (our garage works Sunday not Saturday!) and a full service, cambelt, water pump etc awaits ūüôā¬† I have the welder booked for October so things should happen quickly.¬† Really appreciate your input.¬† I have registered on the German classifieds site and sent a message, and will keep looking out!

I feel so lucky to have been given first look at the car, it was my mates Gran's car and she really treasured it.¬† Last on the road in the late 90's¬† Its a HH engine so the log book (even the first one I have) is wrong in stating 1600!¬† I'll post some more pictures once I have the car back ūüôā¬†

Thanks again this is a great help!

Cheers

Nick

22 hours ago, setch said:

Sod’s law, I have three off side trims and no near side! Sorry

Never mind setch - really appreciate you checking.  I'll keep my eyes peeled!  Roll on collection day!!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow - what a find! As a fan of MK1s & owner of a facelift MK1 Derby GLS - to find a chrome bumper car in this sort of condition (& in these circumstances) really is the stuff of dreams! The VW Derby I believe first reached our shores at the very end of 1977 - my Derby is one of the first of the facelifted models & was registered in May 1979 - so the chrome bumpered cars were only ever sold in this country for a little over a year - so this car really is a very rare find indeed.

Most surviving MK1s (due to being pretty prone to going rusty) - have in their pasts often been pampered cars - low mileage, elderly owned vehicles, kept in garages. Gradually they've all been uncovered/discovered..... obviously as time has gone by these occurrences have become rarer - so to find this car in such great condition & this super colour is very exciting indeed!

Check out the Mk1 Polo, Derby & Audi 50 Owners page on Facebook - there is both a wealth of knowledge & quite often people advertise parts for sale.

I'm actually on the look out for a backbox for my Derby (can't afford a custom S/Steel system at the moment) - so if you find a supply of basic m/steel OEM systems please let me know!

• Like 1
stickman

Wow - what a find! As a fan of MK1s & owner of a facelift MK1 Derby GLS - to find a chrome bumper car in this sort of condition (& in these circumstances) really is the stuff of dreams! The VW Derby I believe first reached our shores at the very end of 1977 - my Derby is one of the first of the facelifted models & was registered in May 1979 - so the chrome bumpered cars were only ever sold in this country for a little over a year - so this car really is a very rare find indeed.

Most surviving MK1s (due to being pretty prone to going rusty) - have in their pasts often been pampered cars - low mileage, elderly owned vehicles, kept in garages. Gradually they've all been uncovered/discovered..... obviously as time has gone by these occurrences have become rarer - so to find this car in such great condition & this super colour is very exciting indeed!

Check out the Mk1 Polo, Derby & Audi 50 Owners page on Facebook - there is both a wealth of knowledge & quite often people advertise parts for sale.

I'm actually on the look out for a backbox for my Derby (can't afford a custom S/Steel system at the moment) - so if you find a supply of basic m/steel OEM systems please let me know!

Hi DerbyDan,

Thanks for the message.

Yes I was very lucky to be offered the car.  It has a few issues, but nothing major.  I am looking to do a light recommissioning this winter & spring ready for next summer!  Initial problem is rust in the tank.  This weekend I will be dropping some magnets in and changing the fuel filter (I have a large stock of these!!) and seeing if this will clear in time, but otherwise it is a tank out job!  The car has 35,000 miles and despite a couple of breakdowns due to rust blocking fuel, drives really well!

I have one piece of chrome trim to find, and otherwise ready for a gentle recommissioning!  I plan to paint the wheels bit keep as much of the car paint as possible.

Here are some pictures a couple of weeks back! 

4.jpg

5.jpg

foreststu

Looks great, keep sharing progress photos - it'll be getting cold and dark soon!

• Like 1
stickman

Well I have encountered my first breakdown!! ūüėÜ

Not a surprise really as the car has sat for 20+ years.  The tank is I think full of rust.  First test is to get the back seats out - I haven't fathomed this yet!!  I will check the fuel gauge is operational, and if so look for a new sender unit.  I then intend to remove the sender and drop a couple of strong magnets in the tank.  Change the fuel filter (I have a bag full!) and leave for a week for the magnets to get to work!!  I will then drive locally around the village and keep an eye on the filter, changing regularly.  Hopefully the issue is a piece of rust blocking the outlet from the tank and the magnets will solve this!  I'll keep you posted!  The care has been regularly undersealed and hopefully is only surface rust internally, so if the tank has to come out, it should go again.  I'll take a proper check of the filler neck at the weekend and see how this has fared!

dvderlm

Blow compressed air down the fuel lines (feed and return) to send any rusty sludge towards those magnets. 

You might need to clean carb of ethanol induced crusting in the float bowl.

I'm now using Startron but Fuelfit would do the same job to stop water absorption.

https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/28046/best-fuel-stabilizers

• Like 1

When I first got the golf on the road after being in a barn for 15 years I had the same problem. Every now and then it would splutter and die. pulling the feed pipe to the fuel pump and blowing down it would sort it for a week or so until I changed all the fuel lines!

• Like 1
stickman

Well I have now installed the magnets in the tank and so far so good.  A period of sustained testing is required now!!!  The sender was ceased solid, but I managed to free it up.  The float however had a hole in it!  It was stamped VW but made by Smiths!!  I thought it would be a VDO one.  I hope this replacement part will fit, it has no float but a silver canister (i guess with a float inside?)  Part number I have found on a replacement is 861 919 049 and is VDO one.

I will definitely give Startron a try.  I have been worried about ethanol in petrol damaging carbs, fuel lines and general condensation issues. 

I have a NOS silencer on order which should improve noise!!  Unfortunately at the moment some side trims seem to be stuck / lost with Parcel Force!!!  I hope they find them and get them delivered this week!!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! This is an amazing find! I've replied to your pm, so sorry its taken so long I've not been on here for ages. We need lots of updates and pics of your progress¬†ūüėÄ