Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Mark 2 Polo: restore or sell?

RichardSwindon

RichardSwindon

Hi, I'm new to the Forum.  I have a Mark2 Polo, from 1988, which has been off road for 15 months but seems to be in reasonable condition (apart from a flat battery).  I'm just getting back into basic but am wondering if its best to fully restore itself or let someone else have a go.  What do members think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim1500

• RichardSwindon

• dvderlm

• steveo3002

Restore. Wonderful little cars. 

Repairs are easy, they don't rust much (battery tray, offside rear arch and sill, bottom of doors), parts are cheap.

Tuning is possible if you are prepared for the insurance rise. 

Annoying is that upgrading the brakes can count as sports modification while I think it's sensible precaution if used to driving in a modern car.

Great cars, cheap and handy to work at. As already pointed out they rust an awful lot less than their contemporaries!

It hasn't been off the road for that long, are they still giving MOT exemptions in England?

get some pics up and start a build thread 🙂

Siaran Leigh

They still need MOT's....

I have 1985 Polo from new. I sorn'd it 3 years ago when it had its first advisory - brakes.

Jump starts and runs!  Perhaps I should just get on with getting it back on the road.

Only problem is my local garage seems to be dreading me bringing it in - not sure why unless they can only fix things the computer codes tell them!

• 2 weeks later...
RichardSwindon

Well, thanks for your thoughts.  I put it through the MOT last week and it got through immediately, just an indicator and rear number plate light to change.  I examined the brakes, which meant getting the jack out of the boot.  I think this is the first time it (as well as the spare tyre) had ever come out of their mounting, the plate holding the jack was gleaming just as it must have done when it came out of the factor!  The front brake disk was obviously a little corroded, but it worked OK, and there's a fair amount of break wear left to go.   It runs very well on the road, amazing given it's been offroad since March 19!  And it has 5 gears, which must have been a novelty at the time.

They still need MOT's....

I have 1985 Polo from new. I sorn'd it 3 years ago when it had its first advisory - brakes.

Jump starts and runs!  Perhaps I should just get on with getting it back on the road.

Only problem is my local garage seems to be dreading me bringing it in - not sure why unless they can only fix things the computer codes tell them!

Best bring it to an older mechanic or one that works on classics.  A lot of modern mechanics don't understand older cars, can't understand why anyone would want one and expect them to be like newer stuff.

If the advisory was just for brakes it should be a cheap and easy fix 🙂 

Well, thanks for your thoughts.  I put it through the MOT last week and it got through immediately, just an indicator and rear number plate light to change.  I examined the brakes, which meant getting the jack out of the boot.  I think this is the first time it (as well as the spare tyre) had ever come out of their mounting, the plate holding the jack was gleaming just as it must have done when it came out of the factor!  The front brake disk was obviously a little corroded, but it worked OK, and there's a fair amount of break wear left to go.   It runs very well on the road, amazing given it's been offroad since March 19!  And it has 5 gears, which must have been a novelty at the time.

Happy days, get some pics up 🙂 5 speed, flash git 🙂  is it a 1L or 1.3?