Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Hey guys, I have an unusual question.

I've been working a delivery job with my 6n2 Polo 'E' 1.0 liter petrol engine (engine code AUC) and despite the official stats right outta my manual ("Urban=37.6, Extra-Urban= 60, Combined= 49.5" British MPG), I rake about 37-42mpg in real world, where I full tank every Fridays, record the mileage and then calculate the MPG. 

All I want to do is maximise my fuel economy.

Can I remap my ECU to improve my fuel economy despite having a simplistic engine?

Is there anyone who remapped just for the sake of fuel economy and not performance and is it worth it?

Besides driving style and swapping the engine out for a diesel one, is there anything else I can do to improve my MPG?

Edited by Kifayat
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kifayat

• steveo3002

• dvderlm

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

steveo3002

check the tyres are pumped up and the engine service is up to date

a remap would take forever to make a saving if you get another couple of mpg ..not worth it  

Average mpg of a 1 litre 6n2 50hp Polo is 44mpg (among drivers monitoring their consumption) 6.34 l/100km.

https://www.spritmonitor.de/de/uebersicht/50-Volkswagen/451-Polo.html?fueltype=2&constyear_s=2000&power_s=50&power_e=54&page=4&exactmodel=6n&powerunit=2

You could try running Torque app on a phone with an OBD2 Bluetooth adaptor.

https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page

The MPG reading may help guide your driving style. 

Not tried this myself, but I've used a vacuum gauge and rev counter to learn how to be mostly gentle with my right foot and still make good progress.

All the start stop with (heavy) parcel load won't help, but you could perhaps find a better rev range or balance

of gear changes such as hypermiling techniques like pulse-and-glide or skipping use of 3rd and 4th except for hills and see how they work for you.

Consider low rolling resistance tyres when you change them. 

Reduce deadweight as much as you can.