Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Its finally happened - the original old tank has started to leak. Must be a pinhole somewhere on the filler neck or at the weld join with the tank

IMG_20201011_1514000.thumb.jpg.ff53ef94727a14e4411c270905891643.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere flat I can properly work on the car for the time being so replacing the tank will have to wait a little while. What would be best to use? I'm thinking a clean of the area and then talc/flour to locate the hole first. Then some sort of fuel-friendly filler patch to bodge it in the meantime?

Long-term its definitely due for a new tank though as the filler neck is well and truly crusty, was only a matter of time. I need to replace the rear beam bushes so will likely schedule all the rear-end work together once I can get hold of a garage to borrow.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zob

• steveo3002

• dvderlm

• Jim1500

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

69 quid https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL-TANK-RESERVOIR-PETROL-INJECTION-DIGIJET-TWC-42-L-FOR-VW-VOLKSWAGEN-POLO-86C/383606583276?fits=Model%3APolo&hash=item5950bbefec:g:EfYAAOSwphFe9TZW

Yep, Epoxymastic or POR15 on outside. Especially on the neck. Reapply after fitting if you can get access since it might get scratched.   Surely German eBay.de will be cheaper than VWHe

any epoxy primer will do well...scuff off all the cheap paint that it comes with on the neck area so it sticks    agree try ebay germany...

Posted Images

dvderlm

Granville Petro Patch will work for a month or so until the next pinhole starts if you can locate the leak (wipe with kitchen towel shake flour on, lift near side of car), then drain and let it dry.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-Granville-Petro-Patch-Putty-50g-Multi-Purpose-Metal-Repair-Leaks-Car-Sealant-/191496979710

1 minute ago, dvderlm said:

Granville Petro Patch will work for a month or so until the next pinhole starts if you can locate the leak (wipe with kitchen towel shake flour on, lift near side of car), then drain and let it dry.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-Granville-Petro-Patch-Putty-50g-Multi-Purpose-Metal-Repair-Leaks-Car-Sealant-/191496979710

Was just reading your old thread on that! I'll grab a tube. Thankfully the parking situation outside my house has the fuel sitting on the other side of the tank which should help eh.

This removal guide for the tank looks pretty straightforward:

https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=11165

And VW Heritage have new tanks in stock which is good

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/867201075f-fuel-tank.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw_Y_8BRBiEiwA5MCBJu90R7OpC46KNeRFhSQAuJeVwBxLJIOaeTA2Y1U3R3HKvy_bPBHMmBoCxesQAvD_BwE

I'm guessing a healthy application of stone chip / epoxy on the exterior of the new tank prior to fitting?

dvderlm

Yep, Epoxymastic or POR15 on outside. Especially on the neck.

Reapply after fitting if you can get access since it might get scratched.

Surely German eBay.de will be cheaper than VWHeritage.

• Like 1
steveo3002

any epoxy primer will do well...scuff off all the cheap paint that it comes with on the neck area so it sticks 

agree try ebay germany...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dvderlm said:

Surely German eBay.de will be cheaper than VWHeritage.

Leider nicht, they're ~80-100EUR before delivery over there (quick search, mind) so pretty much the same price at the end of the day. Es ist alles gut!

I'll get a tin of epoxy from the local car paint shop then, Thanks!

Can probably use this as an opportunity to properly sort out that hole in the OS-rear arch where that breather/return pipe pokes through while I've got the filler neck out of the way eh.

Right, got a tube of Granville petroputty, a new tank and some 2k epoxy primer. Plan is to attempt a bodge with the putty this weekend in the hope it'll hold until the current restrictions get a bit better and I can do the proper work in a garage.

Is it going to be best to brush on a heavy coat of the epoxy or work up thin layers? I'm guessing that the paint and hardener has a shelf life once mixed - I have to admit I haven't used 2K paints before like this.

steveo3002

3 seperate coats..only mix what you need as it will go off

make sure you sand off all the cheap paint they put on it so it can stick to bare steel

• Like 1

Just spent some time trying to find the leak with some talk - can't find it anywhere. It must be tiny and only appreciably leaking when fuel is sloshing over it constantly, couldn't get it to leak with a pot of fuel down the filler neck or lifting/dropping that side of the car. Just going to have to expedite getting the new tank in.

However what i did find while I was under the OS rear is a whole load of rot opening into the sill cavity (is it the sill? that space behind the panel anyway). So there's going to have to be another thing added to the list for when the tank is out...

Jim1500
On 13/10/2020 at 08:20, zob said:

Thanks!

I got one for my mk2 of these guys at the start of the year, probably the very same make you'd get of Heritage but substantially cheaper, with Christmas/New Year holidays it took around two weeks to arrive. Filler neck isn't perfect, but none of the repro tanks will be, it was far better than the last repro one that was fitted to mine.

• Like 1

Got the new tank prepped and painted, looks fine but we'll see how it fits when it goes in eh! Bit concerned about that OS rear sill but nothing can be done unless the tank its out of the way anyway.