Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Oil leak from top of engine and rough idle

Hey guys, not much of a greese monkey and my English is bad so bear with me.

I recently bought a 2nd hand 1.4 16v 2003 BBY, been running ok with a few issues but and have been able to fix them, cleaned it up and still working on it.

the recent problem m now having is a leak from the valve located at the top of the engine as shown from the attachments, when I cold start it, runs for about 2-5m before it starts getting hiccups. At first I would get black and blue smoke but now just hiccups without smoke(this is after I hadn't started it for a week).

Problems started after we cleared check the engine light, so don't if somehow related. That day when I removed the air filter cover the bolt holding that valve was almost fully unscrewed. Seemed as though the pressure from the oil had removed it.

White smoke was coming from sparkplug hole diretly inline with the valve, smoke was also from the throttle body, everything was a complete mess.

I need help with the possible cause for this, is it risky using the car ? and how can I fix it. I want to work on this car myself if it's possible. I want to understand this car and build it up myself. Please help.IMG_20201022_141554.thumb.jpg.05b97bb020b40c99e82fd3a39e738873.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chisboy

• Pete1

• dvderlm

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Problems with the servo vacuum hose tend to be at the junctions of the hard plastic pipe, especially either side of the non-return valve:      

Posted Images

Hi, and welcome. 

Pressure in the crankcase is generally a sign that the breather module on the back of the engine block is not doing its job for some reason. It's the part in the orange ring in this photo:

1267867643_BBZbreather.png.30357cce24d20cc62de63a0a130c6dac.png

That is held on by three or four M6 screws, Allen key H5 fitting.  Probably this is blocked up with degraded oil as a result of previous maintenance neglect (lack of oil changes).  They can get very blocked up; replacement is probably the only real solution as they have complex internal passages that will be almost impossible to fully clean out

20200424_145724.jpg

20200424_145827.jpg

You have probably discovered by now that the problem with looking at the condition of this is the access to get to it; not easy. ☹️

2 hours ago, Pete1 said:

You have probably discovered by now that the problem with looking at the condition of this is the access to get to it; not easy. ☹️

Managed to get to the breather(unfortunately my phone battery was low so couldn't get any pics). As you said it was blocked, cleaned it up since it was too late to get another one. Ran fine for about 3km then started smoking, loss of power and hiccups, no engine light but I diagnosed n came up with p0171, now it's burning more air😂😂, removed the battery to reset it. I will see it in the morning. Any suggestions?, I replaced the injectors just a month ago. 

dvderlm

If you ran it with breather unit hose disconnected you could get a p0171 lean.

p0171 might also be plastic brake servo pipe split, and that would also match the awful running once warmed up.

I think BBY and AHW are similar.

Edited by dvderlm
8 hours ago, dvderlm said:

If you ran it with breather unit hose disconnected you could get a p0171 lean.

p0171 might also be plastic brake servo pipe split, and that would also match the awful running once warmed up.

I think BBY and AHW are similar.

Thanks for the reply mate, where can I locate the servo pipe?

Problems with the servo vacuum hose tend to be at the junctions of the hard plastic pipe, especially either side of the non-return valve:

1831664381_Screenshot2020-10-2309_02_18.png.4789568e50b8dee2ba38149722db1d83.png

• Like 1

Hey guys, thanks for all the help, haven't had time to check if I have any leaks, at least now m not having oil leaks. I will only have time tomorrow to really work on it and check if there are any vaccum leaks.

This morning just took it for a test before work, power and acceleration was good though I could still pickup some mini hiccups.

I will take it for a longer later to see if the engine light will resurface.

I feel like the car just needs to reconfigure itself after unblocking the oil separator. 🤷🏿‍♂️

On 22/10/2020 at 23:19, dvderlm said:

Update, I have had time to really look at the car, checked for leaks and hose breaks, didn't see anything. The car as I mentioned earlier is running great but very poor on idle. 

Don't know if I missed leaks somewhere or the ECU is just failing to adjust after the blockage ordeal. 

I will continue monitoring the situation to see if it get better.

My research lead me to EGR, but m too tired to deal with that right now. 

Look again at my first photo, and particularly the red/white arrow pointing at a small rectangular hole in the lid of the PCV valve.

Practice reaching it without  your arm touching the auxiliary belt with engine off.

Start the engine and let it warm up for a while. Then carefully reach around to that hole and block it with a finger. See what happens to the idle.