Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Mk2 Polo Fuel Tank Replacement

Hi! 

I'm going to be replacing my fuel tank soon on my 1988 mk2 breadvan as it's got the typical leak around the filler neck. Is there any other parts I should be replacing at the same time as the fuel tank?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Patrice

• steveo3002

• mk2tastic

• 1vw2many

Top Posters In This Topic

steveo3002

allow time to put a few coats of paint on the new tank as they come with the lightest dusting of paint on them , and also allow  time to clean up and deal with any rust lurking behind the filler neck area 

no extra parts needed really...could get a new o ring seal for the sender if you want

mk2tastic

All steveo3002 said...

I also gave the tank securing strap a good coat of hammerite for good measure.

I’d definitely recommend a new o ring for the fuel sender though. A 2nd hand one could leak, especially if it’s the original 1988 seal. You may get away with it, but for the price of the seal it’s not worth the risk.

New Jubilee clips on the fuel lines will be needed, especially if it’s the original factory installation that used the crimp type clips. These can’t be re-used.Also maybe some long cable ties to secure the small breather tubes to the filler neck.

As well as the rot already mentioned, beware of further rot in the area of the large breather hose that passes through the wheel arch.This hose connects to the tank neck then onto a connection next to the sender unit. My 1989 Breadvan had a large hole appear when I did my tank, the tube that the breather hose runs through had disintegrated, along with the arch. I ended up having to plate the hole and use a 25mm Cable Gland to pass the hose through and seal the wheel arch.

Edited by mk2tastic
1vw2many

On my mk2f breadvan I took the light coat of transit paint off and sprayed epoxy mastic 121. I also gave it a coat off Gravitex for extra protection. Check my m2f Genesis £25 resto build out.

Edited by 1vw2many
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone, is very helpful. Will definitely replace the o ring and give the new fuel tank some paint before it goes on. 

Was planning to replace the fuel lines in the warmer weather anyway but typically the fuel tank has decided to leak before this!