Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

6N Rear Wiper sticking

Hi all,

I have noticed an issue with the rear wiper on my 1998 6N Polo. It works fine when wash/wiping, however, when set to intermittent wipe it will stick after completing 1/4 of the return wipe. It will then return to the 'parked' position when the next wipe interval is reached. So it is essentially completing 5/8 of wipe on the first pass, then completing the remaining 3/8 of the wipe on the second pass. Has anyone experienced this before, or know of any potential causes? I'm thinking contaminated motor grease, or worn intermittent relay? There are no other issues with the wipers (front or rear).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBrown

• caretakerplus

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, on the off chance that anyone comes back to read this:   Don't bother dismantling the motor there's a 99% chance it won't go back together, as Caretaker plus said they REALLY aren't desi

caretakerplus

Those motors are not really designed to be dismantled - BUT it is possible!

The problem may well be down to a warn commutator and or brushes.

The brushes are not too much of a problem, as you could probably adapt brushes which may be more readily available,

The difficulty could be with the commutator, as these things quietly wear away for years, then when they do eventually cause problems, they are so badly warn that there is nothing left to skim in the lath.

It may pay to obtain another wiper motor, prior to stripping the existing one, that way you will have the choice of two and may be able to cannibalise one for the other - But it would probably be better to fit the 'new' one and see how it performs.

Regards

• 6 months later...

So, on the off chance that anyone comes back to read this:

Don't bother dismantling the motor there's a 99% chance it won't go back together, as Caretaker plus said they REALLY aren't designed to be dismantled, it seems as though the casing is formed around the motor. 

The problem with mine appeared to be corrosion. 

Ever since I'd bought the car, the washer nozzle rotated with the wiper arm, apparently this isn't normal and is probably a sign of bad things to come. In the end I bought a used rear wiper off of eBay for about £25 (6N0955713B if memory serves). They're easy to fit, it's not worth the hassle of trying to fix the existing motor.

New motor went on, fitted well, and the washer nozzle remained in the vertical position through 180° of wiper sweep. I did have to adjust the nozzle angle with the end of a scriber as it was angled to clean a patch on roof when I got it (not overly helpful for cleaning the rear windscreen).

Hope this helps someone.

Jack

• Like 2